Wednesday, May 2

Are You Attached?

Courtesy Ame Otoko
We've been cleaning out our attic and garage for the past few days. With bebe about to hit the big 4, we decided it's finally time to get rid of the old baby stuff - cribs, high chairs, walkers, swings...you get the drift. We've hauled and cleaned and stacked and priced and stacked some more and had more people calling to see what all we're selling than...well, than Moses, I suppose. Tonight, after she finally went down, DH and I collapsed on the couch and zoned out in front of the television. And I realized something.

Of the hundreds of little items we're planning to get rid of  sell this weekend, we've still got a gajillion that I'm just never going to be able to part with. Most of these are pictures - I have the worlds largest picture frame collection, I think, because my camera is never far from my fingertips and I have a major addiction slight problem when it comes to cute photo frames. I just can't leave them on store shelves. We have pictures from vacations and family events, from backyard BBQs and snowplowing days, of bebe reading or playing, of DH doing something silly or me falling over my own clutzy feet. Pictures surround us, and although I may put a few of those pictures 'to rest' (meaning into an actual scrapbook) one of these days, they'll never actually leave us.

Isn't that the way it's supposed to be?

How about you? Are you a photo-freak like me? Or do you collect something else to mark those memorable occasions and moments?

15 comments:

  1. I collected when I was younger, and I still LIKE things (like picture frames), but it worries me to have them now. I don't want to leave a mess for people to clean up when I'm gone--and yes, I do hope it's a long time away. I don't want my kids saying, Why in the hell did she save this? So I tend to downsize whenever I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I may need you to have a chat with my Dad...that man is a master hoarder, er, collector.

      Delete
  2. This post comes at a good time for me. As you know we're going through the Kitchen Remodel From Hell. While cleaning out cupboards I came across old sippy cups and all the baby spoons and forks. Yes, my kids are 18, 15 and 12 and I still have all that stuff IN MY KITCHEN!

    When DH asked if he could get rid of them I about hyperventilated. NO WAY! I wanted to scream. Instead I calmly said, "I can't". Luckily he was very understanding and carefully wrapped them up and stored them away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I just found *boxes* of old baby bottles, sippies and even nipples in my attic. DH let me keep 1. Of each. Still crying a little over that, even though I know we don't need them. What is it about getting rid of baby things?!?

      Delete
  3. I have the world largest photograph collection...so we should get together and combine them with your frames Kristi! lol I do have a lot of frames as well, but just not the wall space to hold them all. I have them on discs, stored in albums and boxes and then several hung up on the walls and situated on various tables and shelves. They're a great way to relive happier times.

    Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pictures, pictures and more pictures. On my computer - I have an entire external hard drive with just pictures on it! At last count we have just over 75 framed pictures in my house. Yes, the shelves, mantle, tables are covered. It's a *slight* problem....

      Delete
  4. I can't get rid of anything, and pictures are a weakness. Luckily, my daughter loves them, too, so she'll inheiret a bunch of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You take ahhhmazing pictures, D'Ann!! Glad Brandi's a collector, too.

      Delete
  5. I moved from a large two-story home to a smaller single-story with very limited storage. We gained acreage, so that was the trade-off. I had mementos and "crap" I'd carried around, thinking it was precious to me. Now, I can't even remember what they were. I'm slowly accumulating more mementos (aka crap), but these are of a different nature. Pictures & stories the kids created, infant-wear, and some furniture from my grandparents and ancestors.

    Fun blog post today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheri! We're cleaning out a lot...but the pictures just seem to morph and grow. I'm not sure how...

      Delete
  6. I'm DEFINITELY a photo freak! Fortunately, my passion for scrapbooking helps me keep it in check somewhat! Though I take dozens of pictures of the same things, I only scrapbook the "best" of them. My only problem now is finding enough time to keep the pictures from taking over my entire working/writing space until they are scrapped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna, I dream of scrapbooking. When the kiddo was first born I was great at keeping up. But I know have 4 months of photos, art/pre-school projects and...all sorts of other stuff I need to wade through. My Cricut hates me..

      Delete
  7. My dad growing up had albums and albums of pics and I continued the tradition. Love pics. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have lots of photos but that's not what I collect. I have every card, love letter and art projects given to me by hubby and kids since they were little. I have to force the lid closed on the trunk at the end of my bed. I also have small wooden boxes all over the house. One of them holds my deceased granfather's handkerchiefs and photos of him and my grandmother when they were young. My granfather used to collect pacifiers from all the grands, great grands, and great, great grandbabies. My grandmother still has it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post... I can't say I'm over attached to much, but there are a few things....

    ReplyDelete