Overcoming No

This week I found inspiration and guidance in the most unexpected place.

Author quotes are usually good for that, but this came from another media. TV. Specifically The Voice.

I'm a latecomer to the cultural phenomena that is The Voice. I started watching it last season when Gwen Stafani and Pharrell Williams joined the panel.

I love Pharrell--he has got to be the nicest guy in the music industry. Kind of what they say about Henry Winkler in the television world.

And he is so thoughtful and insightful in his critiques of the performers. The other day he said, "No should be your greatest motivator."

Okay. Just sit and savor those words.

 No should be your greatest motivator.

I put Bix back on the shelf a number of months ago because of "no." Well, three "no's" in quick succession. The no's I received were very positive no's surrounded by praise, but they were still no. And they had a similar component--my manuscript read YA in some areas and MG in others.

When I shelved Bix, it was after five years and eight rewrites. I was exhausted by the boy. I love him dearly, but I couldn't see straight anymore when it came to that manuscript.

No should be your greatest motivator.


This morning I contacted a beta-reader. I'd read her book last summer and she promised to return the favor. And I'd never taken her up on it. At the time I was working on Pages of Life and didn't have anything for her. And Bix was out on sub. And for whatever reasons, when Bix came back with rejections, I didn't think to ask her then. But I did this morning. And when I get this posted, I'm sending Bix her way. 

No should be your greatest motivator.

If anyone is interested in beta-reading Bix, let me know. Because I am determined to overcome this particular no.

No should be your greatest motivator.


Comments

  1. I love that quote...I think I need to make a meme for it! :D And I agree - the no's are really hard to deal with at first...but no can be an opportunity, too. An opportunity to re-work an existing project or an opportunity to start something completely new. Bix is a great book...I'm glad he's motivating you again. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please make a meme for it! Then I can make it into a coaster. LOL

      Delete
  2. What a great quote. And Kristi's right--Bix is a great book, but even I have to admit I'm too close to him (I think he's a cyber-grandchild) to even pretend objectivity. I can't wait to hear what other readers think, though I know that's a fingers-crossed kind of thing for a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. You've always been too close to be critical of Bix :)

      Delete
  3. I love the quote. I will include it in my announcements to the students in my psychology classes this week. I play Pharrell Williams' interviews in my classes. I love when he talks about gratitude. I would be happy to be a beta reader for Bix if you still need one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn--I would love for you to beta Bix. How can I get in touch?

      And I love that you are a Pharrell enthusiast as well. My oldest daughter has been a fan for years and is thrilled that he's finally getting the recognition he's deserved for years.

      Delete

Post a Comment