Snowslide


Right now, I imagine we're all a lot like this flower. Buried under mounds of snow.
I know I am.
Anyone who follows this blog, or knows me, knows I work retail. I like my job most of the time.
I don't like it right now.
Shopping during the holly days does not bring out the joy in people. Shopping makes a lot of people mean and grumpy.
There's my own limited shopping to do. It's not a lot. But I managed to get everyone I care about a little something. My husband builds houses, and like most of the country, he is out of work. To get back to work, he has to travel to California the day after Christmas. We don't know how long he'll be gone. A month, minimum.
I'm a big girl. I can go to my job, take care of more than thirty animals, keep the vehicles running. But it seems like a lot of snow on my head right now.
Writing?
Yeah, believe it or not, I've managed to get a new chapter done, and I know what to do next. I have a request for a partial from an agent, and it's due next week. I'm reading Cat and making small changes. Polishing it. Did two crits.
I'm not digging out of the snowslide with any speed, but I'm taking little handfuls, making snowballs and pitching them out. That's all I can do. Like this little flower, I'm slowly digging my head out of the snow, looking forward to spring.
Happy holly days!

Comments

  1. Happy Holidays to you too. I hope you get a shovel for Christmas so you can dig out of the snow faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the idea of your husband working so far from home, BUT as you and I know, it's work! And it's not forever. I'm so happy you had a partial's request! D'Ann, I hope it escalates into a full, and then a contract for more. You're such a great & talented writer. It's past time for someone to take notice of you. Even though the snow weighs a ton and is freezing, that fragile flower pushed through and caught your eye. You remind me of that beautiful flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, D'Ann! Pretty soon you'll be shocked at how much you've gotten 'done' with just a few snowballs! Hugs to you, though, when hubby leaves...even though I know you're a strong woman, I know you'll miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photo of the flower in the snow. (I once did a similar painting from a photo.) Very striking work!

    No snow here in the East as yet, but cold and windy where I live on the cliffs overlooking the Hudson.
    Happy Holidays!

    Jacqueline Seewald
    new release in large print from
    Thorndike Press: TEA LEAVES AND TAROT CARDS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy HOlidays, I'm sorry your hubby works so far from home. I hope this new year will bring solutions to our economy that we're in dire need of. I hate shopping during the holidays and am glad my teens don't really ask for a lot. We don't have snow yet, we had some flurries it's just frigid cold out. I can't wait to see your writing grow into the next new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! for the partial. Bummer about the Hubby, but I know how that goes. All you can do is put one foot in front the other.

    Anytime we get to write is a victory, I think.

    I hate shopping. Period. I don't do it unless absolutely necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you're taking on a lot and still managing to write. Makes me realize I've been whining. We don't get much snow here so I have no excuse. Sorry to hear your Hubby has to be gone so long, but a big congrats on the request!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray on the request, and the great rush is winding down. I'm sorry to hear Wes has to leave, but glad the work is there for him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you have lots of support, D'Ann. Congrats on your perseverance, and your DH, too. May 2011 be a much better year for your family, and your writing...the request is a great starting point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've worked retail myself, and as a result I go out of my way to be both nice and cheerful to everyone in the business. When I'm having a bad day it's almost never their fault; and when they have to do something that upsets customers, it's usually the result of a decision by someone over their head.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much, everyone, for coming by. I really appreciate it.
    Happy Holly Days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment