Do You Take A Vacation From Writing?



I'm writing this from my hotel room in Quebec. This morning we stuffed ourselves silly with an over the top two hour brunch at the Chateau Frontenac (picture at left), and then traipsed around a spectacular waterfall for a few hours. Okay, and bought a whole bunch of maple flavored beer we have no idea if we can legally bring back across the border. But I digress.


The point is that I'm on vacation with my darling husband. We're gone for more than a week, with nothing but overeating, drinking and sightseeing on the agenda. And yet...I brought along the laptop. Not just to post this blog, but to work on my WIP.


At 66,000 words and change, I'm entering the home stretch. And yet, those final 30,000 words won't just plop from my brain fully formed onto the page. RWA Nationals loom on the horizon in a month. If you do the math, I need to churn out 1,000 words a day to finish by then. On top of that, I'll also need to write my pitch for the convention once I do finish. Blame it on procrastination, an injury laden spring that made it almost impossible to write for a few months, but whatever the cause, I need to get it in gear.


If my husband had brought along work with him, well, let's just say I flat out wouldn't have allowed it. The whole point is to get him away from work stress. So why the double standard? Why am I suddenly building in an hour every day to write? Sending him down to listen to jazz while I crank out the requisite number of words?


Because as much as we train ourselves to consider writing a real career, much of the time it still doesn't feel like 'work'. We write because we love it. We write for the thrill, the fun, the ability to crack ourselves up as we type. Sure doesn't sound like work, does it? Does anyone else out there bring their work on vacation?

Comments

  1. Good for you, Christi. Hope you're having a great time. I also have a laptop with me on vacation, but haven't written word or even checked email very often. I feel guilty...but rested, very, very rested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually take along my laptop (now my iPad) on vacation. Sometimes I get actual words, sometimes just scene ideas...it depends. But, for me, fiction writing is fun - it's not stressful or panic inducing. So taking my writing along on vacation is an easy decision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I coudln't tell you...I don't go on vacations. But if I did, I wouldn't take the laptop or any other computer. Life is too short. Stories will always be there. A place like that isn't an everyday occurance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually take my laptop but seldom use it. It's for my "just in case" moments. You know, just in case I find a free moment to write. That almost never happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I always to take writing gear. I don't always use it, but I definitely take it. Plus, I never feel like writing is a chore. Most of the time, it's my sanctuary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely take my laptop. I'm unpublished and time's running out, I turned 50 this year.
    Plus, you never know when inspiration's going to hit.
    My hubby is pretty understanding, I worked a paying job and raised kids for years.
    It sounds like your enjoying your trip with hubby also,so as long as he's happy I think it's great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment