Snowpocalypse!

As many of you know, I loathe Atlanta traffic. The events of Tuesday and Wednesday took me to my highest level of pisstivity (and yes, in my world, pisstivity is a word). I left the day job at 2:15p.m. on Tuesday afternoon and got home at 3:30p.m. Wednesday. A twenty-five hour commute!

Here's the deal. At about noon there was heavy snowfall. Unfortunately, the day job decided that we couldn't leave work until 2:00 p.m. None of us knew that the snowpocalypse had begun. It usually takes me ten minutes to get to the expressway. This time it took four hours! That's right folks, I got to the expressway at 6:00p.m. Let me remind you, I left at 2:15.


As soon as I saw the mayhem that was the interstate, I started calling hotels. There were no vacancies anywhere. By the way, there was a poultry convention in town. Yeah, that's a little strange. I didn't know there was a convention for chicken. I got a few calls from co-workers and found out one of my co-workers was stuck on the interstate and running out of gas. We decided to meet at the closest exit. Who knew it would take another three hours to travel one mile?


We met up and I had to pull over on the on-ramp to the exit. The ramp was uphill and was nothing but a sheet of ice. We walked to the nearest hotel and found it was full. So, it was back to our cars. My co-worker fell in the snow but was not injured. I got her to my car and turned on the heat. Thank goodness, I had half a tank of gas. At about one in the morning, we realized we weren't going anywhere. Actually, we knew before that, but stayed optimistic. Traffic wasn't moving and there was no way my car was going to make it up the hill of ice. Thankfully, she had snow tires, so she was better equipped than I was. We got her car to a gas station, then made it to a shopping center parking lot, where we had to spend the night in her car. We kept in touch with our families and other co-workers who were also stuck. One had to use a cup she had in her car for a bathroom!


The next morning, after a breakfast of chips and drinks (grocery store was open in the shopping center) we headed toward her home, where I met up with hubby, who got me home safely.


Well, today is Thursday and hubby and I went to the interstate to pick up my car. There are still several abandoned cars on the road, and the ice isn't gone yet. The streets leading to my subdivision are still dangerous territory. I pray I will never have to go through this again.

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh. Hugs to you. What a mess! Glad you're home safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you survived your adventure and lived to tell the tale. On the bright side, you are now apocalypse-ready :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Margie. Atlanta did look like something out of a horror movie. You ever see the opening clip from The Walking Dead? You know the one with all the cars on the side of the road? That's what it looked like. I tried to upload pics but for some reason, it just wasn't happening.

      Delete
  3. Wow! When I was first married, we moved to Dallas. There was an ice storm. *shudder* I'm so glad you're safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you D'Ann. It wasn't the snow that was the problem. It was the ice. And the fact that everyone decided left their jobs at the same time. I was especially sorry for the children that had to spend the night at school or stuck on school buses for hours.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, you poor thing! Glad you survived!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment