Once upon a time in February...

I despise February, don’t you? It is the big, bad Monday of the calendar year. Here in the Midwest, the weather sucks, skies are gloomy, everyone (besides you) is cranky, and the 28 days allotted to it last for 16 weeks. However, as I have mentioned before, my personality type is P for Pollyanna, and when I took a long, hard look at February, I discovered:

  •          February 1: Hattie Caraway (1878-1950) the first woman elected to the U.S. Senate, was born in Bakersville, Tennessee. She served a total of 14 years.
  •          February 2: Irish novelist and poet James Joyce (1882-1941) was born in Dublin, Ireland.
  •          February 3: My friend Nancy Rairdon was born. Our friendship has been one of the greatest gifts of my life.
  •          February 6, 1895 - Babe Ruth was born.
  •          February 7, 1812 - Charles Dickens was born. In 1843, he wrote A Christmas Carol in just a few weeks, an enormously popular work even today. I won’t say I became a writer because of him, but that little story has added joy to every Christmas of my life.
  •          February 11, 1847 - Thomas Edison was born. Throughout his lifetime he acquired over 1,200 patents including the incandescent bulb, phonograph and movie camera. He said, "Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration."
  •          February 12, 1809 – Abraham Lincoln, my favorite president, was born. We will skip the history lesson on him—if you don’t already know it, look it up.
  •          February 14. Valentine’s Day.
  •          February 15, 1820 – Susan B. Anthony was born. She worked tirelessly for woman's suffrage and in 1872 was arrested after voting in the presidential election. Thank you, Ms. Anthony.
  •          February 22 – George Washington was born. Remember what I said about Abraham Lincoln? Same goes.
  •          February 26 – Our youngest son, Jeremy Sean Flaherty, was born. So was Buffalo Bill.


So, yeah, like I said, February’s one of my favorite months. I knew that all along.

Comments

  1. Good one, Liz! I know someone else who thinks February is too long and mean to live, and he was born in that month! But just think--we're over half-way to March! Only two weeks till spring...I know because I read it on your blog recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, in actuality, time goes way too fast even if it is "long and mean."

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristi. I'm still having trouble getting my motor going, though, and I truly am still blaming February. :-)

      Delete
  3. I've always championed the cause for the month of February, partly because it's my birthday month. Plus, one February we found out we were going to have a second baby. This year's has been a bit of a struggle. So thanks for the reminder of the good stuff, Liz. It may be one of those "Fake It 'til You Make It" situations, but I will celebrate February. Yes. I. Will. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck, Cathy! There are actually times when faking it can be a good thing. :-)

      Delete
  4. February is my laziest month--seriously, all I want to do is sit by the fire and read or knit and binge-watch Netflix, drink tea, nap...sadly, that's not what happens because, you know, life and job and writing and gym and stuff. So I spend a lot of February being really cranky because I can't do what I want to do... Thanks for some reasons to be okay about it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup--right there with you. We don't have a fireplace, but I can certainly imagine one. :-)

      Delete
  5. I have to admit I like February a whole lot better now than I did when we lived in Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I would love it in Florida, too, Alison, but I didn't--too long a Hoosier, I think! It's beautiful where you are, though!

      Delete
  6. February can be a cruel month. Last February was brutal with the polar vortex and all. In comparison, this February feels balmy. So despite the cold, I'm okay with the month. When February's over it means spring is only a few more weeks away. At least that's what I'm telling myself. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing, Jana! Hence the "two weeks" post a while back. It's a lifesaver, feeling that way.

      Delete
  7. Short, sweet, and unpredictable as far as the weather goes. With school ccancelled, I have an extra day to write.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you decide not to Florida this year? Up here in the NW corner of the country, we're having a pretty good February--even the rain has been kind to us this season. And it feels more like April than February--just ask my honeysuckle which is now budding and my roses have new growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stayed home this year, Margie, and I'm loving it--ice, snow, and all! However, April-like sounds lovely to me. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment