Wrapping up 2015 & My New Word Of The Year

It really doesn't feel like it should be January 6th already, and it especially doesn't feel like it should be 2016, but I've consulted three calendars (2 digital, 1 paper) and it seems that it is, in fact, January 6, 2016. Which means I really need to get my head wrapped around 2016 and my goals for the year.

Which brings me to my word for the year. Which takes me back to this time last year when I shared my word for 2015: That word was ENJOY, and here's a little about why I liked it:

"...taking the time to really be in the moment - when you know you should be folding laundry but instead you're caught up in something bigger. Like reading a book with your kid ..."

What kinds of things did I enjoy in 2015? We took a family cruise (in-laws, siblings, us) and it was amazing, I saw 2 of my first Harlequin Superromances hit store shelves, bebe finally caught up in Math and continued to excel at reading/writing. I sat on the back deck and watched her swim with friends, we taught Hazel to fetch...and swim, too. I watched about 12 inches of snow fall through the winter months and enjoyed every single over-80 degree day. And the list goes on.

My word for 2016 is a little different: FOCUS.

Why focus? Because even with those little memories made from the word enjoy, there were bits of time when I was stressed out because I kept thinking, whilewatching the kid swim or playing on the cruise, that I was falling behind on work stuff.

This year I've got 6 book releases already on the calendar (a mixture of traditional and indie-published stuff), and I'm waiting to hear on a new project with another publisher. We have a cruise coming up this spring, I'm planning on attending the RWA conference in San Diego and at least 1 other reader-focused conference. bebe's planning on joining the swim team this summer...it's going to be a busy year. Without a lot of FOCUS, I won't be able to ENJOY all those little moments - like the first 85 degree day in the pool or the 8th snow day of the winter session or a day playing hookey with RadioMan at the movies.

So, I'm setting daily/weekly wordcount goals so that I can really focus in those moments...so that I can still enjoy taking the time off.

What about you? Do you have any resolutions for 2016? If you don't do resolutions, how about a goal or - like me - a word for the year?

Comments

  1. I like "focus." Mine is "today," which is going to require some focus from me! Your schedule horrifies me, but I think that's the difference between your age and mine. Good luck with it. And try to slow down bebe's growing up, would you? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying, I really am!! On my FB timeline today was a pic of her from one of her first days in pre-school and I puddled up. It's going too fast!!

      I think your word is great - very 'right now', and that is important!

      Delete
  2. Great idea to have a "word to live by" for the year! I think mine will be GET OFF YOUR BU-- oh, wait, that's more than one word... How about "Bam!" or "Shazam!" or "Boo-yah!"... some shout of accomplishment for when I check off the major To-DO's I have for myself this year. But of luck to you as you FOCUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your word! I'm going to share mine tomorrow. But, I think yours is good in so many ways. I think we all could use a little more focus--whether it's in getting things done or simply focusing on the person in front of us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! That word started coming up more and more last fall when I'd be talking to someone but thinking about this deadline or that load of laundry or what the heck to make for dinner. So it's not just focusing on work, but also focusing on the moment - whatever that moment might be!

      Delete
  4. My goal for 2016 is to eat more fruits and vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kim, that's a great goal! I'm considering a nutri-bullet or one of those ninja blender things to help up my intake!

      Delete

Post a Comment