Muddle Through

by Margie Senechal

I was hoping I'd wake up with something to write, but alas, waking up before the sun isn't good for the synapses. At least mine, but I shall muddle through.

On Tuesday, Jordan and I went to see Hello, My Name Is Doris. And Sally Field is such a delight in it. Jordan was the youngest one in attendance and I think I was a close second. And we both enjoyed it immensely. 

I am reading The Year We Turned Forty bu Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke. It's about three friends getting who recently turned fifty getting a chance to live their 40th year over as that was a catalystic year for them all. Do you realize that catalystic isn't a word. I think it should be. Maybe I meant cataclysmic??? Remember, it's early here. Probably not there, however, so bear with me. Bare with me??

Oh, back to the book. I can't imagine any year that I would want to live over. However, sometimes I think I wish I could leave a message for the young me. There are three or four things I wished I'd known. 

Like, "Don't lose your sense of adventure." "Don't stop running." and "Keep doing cartwheels".

Not that I was great at doing cartwheels, but it's kind of all-inclusive. Think of the things you did when you were young and somewhere along the way, you quit doing them. And now you are physically unable to do them. 

I thought of this after seeing a picture of Marcia Cross--who isn't that much younger than me--doing cartwheels on the beach. Sure, she's in way better shape than I am, but maybe it's because she never quit doing cartwheels. Or has a trainer. 

Time to go, but one last shout out--GO BLAZERS. RipCity, baby!



Comments

  1. Fun thoughts, Margie--I'm not sure I'd want to relive any years, although, like you, I'd like to go back and tell my younger self some things. Like maybe, don't eat all that sugar, keep moving, enjoy each day and stop looking at the future as a better place than the present...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that last one because I think we all do that--ignore the present with the possibility of the future.

      Delete
  2. Lol. I think my only advice to the younger me would be to "fear not." I wasted so much time being afraid of things, afraid someone wouldn't like me, afraid a fight meant my marriage was broken, etc. I told my mother-in-law when she was sick that the first time she got mad at me, I thought she didn't like me anymore. She said, "Oh, bullshit," and firmed up knowing I shouldn't be afraid. :-) And, it's bear with me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent my twenties living in that same fear--what if I get divorced? What if something happens to one of the girls? Truth is, my imagination magnified everything to the worst degree. And it was rarely necessary.

      Thanks for the confirmation about bear with me. I was pretty sure but groggy enough to wonder

      Delete
  3. I was never a runner, so I can't wish that back...I do wish I've never stopped biking, though. I picked it up 2 summers ago, and it's fun. Can't wait to get the bike back out this summer. Great advice, Margie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biking was another one on my list--I've tried to pick it back up but my knees haven't cooperated and when did bike seats get so damned uncomfortable???

      Delete
    2. right? The pain! Did you know they make padded bike shorts? Like *any*one should wear - in public - shorts with big pillows in them!

      Delete
  4. I've never done a successful cartwheel, but it doesn't break my heart--too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post, Margie! I think the only advice I would give to my younger self is "Don't put that (insert sweet, high-calorie treat) in your mouth!" All the other big "don't"s are what got me to where I am today (for better or worse), and I'm not sure I would change that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on both counts, Ava. Sometimes when we're going through something, the big picture only becomes apparent when we've passed through the trial and we go, "A-ha."

      Delete

Post a Comment