"...when life was slow and oh, so mellow..." - Harvey Schmidt
Welcome to October! And, yeah, I'm a month off with my quote up there, but it fits so well. Someone said on Facebook, "October is my favorite color." I tend to agree. Regardless of how brilliant its colors are both here in the Midwest and in New England--and probably other places; I am literally "writing what I know" here--there is a mellowness to October that, if we let it, will lend ease to the most pained of hearts.
In my best Pollyanna Whittier mode, and because you know I do like my lists, I'm going to talk about my favorite things about October. You know how the rest of it goes then--you tell us your favorite things about October. Or your least favorites, whichever strikes your fancy.
- Pumpkin spice everything. I know it's a love-or-hate thing. Cheryl St. John came right out on FB and admitted she hated it all. Answers to her post ranged from avid agreement to--I might be making this up--questioning her taste buds' competence. (She has this book about cake-baking that assures me she knows about food...)
- Autumn decorations. Not that I have many, but aren't they gorgeous? Here in the cornfields, we see many of the decorations in their natural habitat. Cornstalks, bales of straw, pumpkins, and leaves of all colors. The nice thing is we also get to hear them rustle, smell the grainy-sweet smell peculiar to fall, and drink cider straight out of the press. (I like mine hot. And spiced. See recipe here.)
- Sweatshirts. I LOVE sweatshirts. And I want'em baggy. I have a lime green one that makes my sister-in-law Lynn want to toss her cookies, but I love it anyway. (I need to add here that if I buy her anything, it's either gray or...no, maybe...no, gray...)
- October is the start of the holiday season for me. Not that I'm organized to ever actually be ready for any of the holidays, but I do love the whole anticipatory time.
- I've sold several books in October and had several more come out in October. This year is no exception. Catch Miracle on Joyful Street as part of this year's Christmas Town anthology, Heartwarming Holiday Wishes.
There's my list. How about you? How do you feel about October?
Have a great week!