My own Audrey Two

by Margie Senechal

As much I love dystopia and apolcaloptic fiction, I'm finding the reality of living in such times a bit more taxing. :)

There are times that I feel there is a lot to be hopeful for-- Walmart is out of bikes because families have started enjoying biking together, the group women parked in an empty parking lot in a semi-circle while they visit and social distance at the same time, or the return of the drive-in theater. Could we be so lucky? The nearest one to me is in Newberg, Oregon, a nice 45-minute or so drive away.

Before--which for the record--
I'm a little horrified to share.

Sometimes these little things are the only things that give us some hope when we're bombarded everywhere by increasingly bad news. And sometimes we have to search really hard to find those good things in the midst of the bad. It's kind of like my backyard.

For the last couple of years, I've neglected my yard and it seriously shows it. Blackberry vines have invaded almost every area--Oregon blackberries are a lot like Audrey 2--they tend to take over everything and plant their seedlings at will.

A lot of work, a little progress. Look!
You can see the edge of the patio again.
But, this summer, I'm determined to get it under control. My friend, Phil, and I have taken to working on most Mondays--weather permitting--to make some headway.

On the last refuse day, I put out seven bins/bags of yard debris. I have piles to pack up now but, I've been avoiding it. Maybe in August, I'll have even better pictures to share. Fingers crossed.


Back to the point I was trying to make, finding good among the brambles. Here are some of my flowers that are thriving amongst the blackberries and coming back to life with the eradication. There's a bee in the middle of the blue cornflower--which is Jordan's favorite flower and was my dad's, so I'm glad to see these transplants from his yard over ten years ago, still fighting.


 So, from one Apocaloptimist to another, keep seeking out the good. If we ever needed a Pollyana attitude, it is definitely now. Take care, stay safe, and be well!

Comments

  1. The good from the brambles...we sure have to find that, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. your yard is always inspiring, Margie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because you only see the good pictures. LOL I left out the couch in the yard because I can't get it past the apple tree that laid down their branches last year.

      Delete
  3. Well said, Pollyana! I'm glad to know there are optimists out there. That's what keeps light in the world when darkness, at times, seems to be the prevailing factor. Keep that garden growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we need all the light we can muster these days!

      Delete
  4. It's wonderful to see the beauty shining through.Keep being optimistic, Margie. Pessimists like me need you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment