On Fresh Starts and New Normals ~ @AuthorKristina Knight

It's the first day of seventh grade for bebe and I have to tell you (as I likely have since Kindergarten) that I'm not quite sure how we've gotten here. Especially this year when school is not looking anything like what we've seen. Our schools shuttered and went virtual last spring along with most of the country. This year our district decided to pull everyone back into the classroom, no hybrid option, but they did add in an all-virtual option that families could opt in to by semester. We opted for online for an abundance of reasons, not the least of which is that our districts buildings are already overcrowded with 25 kids (minimum) in each room. Put all those kids in a hallway between classes, on buses to and from...it just seemed like a nightmare to us. And, bebe did well with online in the spring. She's not thrilled about still being online, but she does understand the reasoning, and we did give her an option: stay in-district and do their virtual option or leave the district and do a program like K12 or Connections. She chose our district because that is where her friends are ... and hopefully this won't be forever. 

While she's been prepping for the new-normal of school, I have a bit of a new-normal for me: a new dayjob. A couple of years ago I started working at our local hospital. Well, a month or so ago, I had a new opportunity come about which would have me writing - grant writing - something I did several years ago for an environmental non-profit in Nebraska. Last week, I had my first day and while there is definitely going to be a learning curve, I'm excited to be using my skills - and to have a more 'normal' schedule that will still allow me writing time for my books. 

Speaking of, I'm working a new series there, too. A trio of cousins living on a big ranching spread out West. The new series is still in the planning stages, but I'm really having fun with it. A few of the Wranglers here will be reading for me in another week or so ... and if they approve, it's off to my editor and we'll see where this one lands. 

Last week, we were in full-on summer here on the North Coast and I'm expecting a bit of Indian Summer to hit in another two weeks or so, as it typically does, but yesterday we were awakened by thunderstorms and a crisp punch of Autumn in the air. I can feel the seasons starting to change, and as nice as summer has been, I have to say that I'm ready for another change. Another new normal. Another fresh start. I'm ready for a new challenge and I'm ready to sink into the familiar, welcome agony of writing a brand-new series and building a new world. Of helping 'my people' find their way to a home they maybe didn't know they were missing. 

I guess, I'm ready for fall.

Just don't tell me that that means winter is right around the corner. I'm nowhere near ready for that! 

What are you looking forward to this fall? 



Comments

  1. I loved reading this. Your new beginnings sound so exciting and so fun! I hope bebe loves and does well with school. It's such a challenge for kids now. Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Liz! I think it's going to be a good semester for her ... and I'm excited about the changes for me, too. :)

      Delete
  2. Grandboy's district started a hybrid schedule today, but Grandboy is also in all virtual classes because Son and DIL had the same fears as you did. I pray he does well with it. Bebe will be all good and so will you! Congrats on the new series, can't wait to take a peek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Nan! I bet he does well - he's a smart cookie!! :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the new job, Kristina! I hope you enjoy it very much. And congrats on the new series. I wish you much success with it.

    Today is the first day of school in my city and province. Unfortunately for a lot of families here, there is no option of virtual classes. (Well, as I understand there is, but it's only being offered in cases where someone is immuno-compromised.) So either send the kids to school or home school. I know they're doing staggered start times, masks, and physical distancing as much as possible, but still... If I still had kids in school, I'm not sure what I would do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment