Back Where I Belong by Shawn Dalton-Smith

 It is so much fun when Word Wranglers who have retired from the blog come back to visit! We miss Shawn Dalton-Smith so much, but she doesn't seem to have any trouble staying busy without us! Here she is with a gorgeous new cover. Welcome home, Shawn!

Shawn Dalton-Smith

I took a little (no, make that a long) break from writing. I don’t know why, but I lost interest. I immersed myself in my job, my grandchildren, my home. My granddaughter came to live with us, and it was nice having a child in the house again.

Now that the pandemic has hit, I don’t get to see my grandsons as often as I would like. Thankfully, my husband works from home, so he is with our granddaughter for remote learning. I’m an essential worker (nurse by day) so I don’t get to do the stay-at-home thing. My life became a delicate balancing act, learning to spend time with family in a new and safe way. Work, raising a child, spending quality time with hubby. It’s hectic, to say the least. But something was missing.

My characters called me back. It was subtle, at first. A song that whispered, “Wouldn’t this make a great story?” A couple in the park who just realized they were soul mates, and wanted their story told.

I ignored the pull. I wasn’t going to get sucked back in. Back to the hair pulling, want to pound my head on the desk scenes that wouldn’t come together. The character who wouldn’t cooperate, the idea that you just spent two hours writing pure crap.

Then, I got the rights to all my stories back. My old characters invaded my brain with a vengeance. New characters surfaced in my head. They were no longer subtle. They jumped on my back and insisted I get my behind back in the chair. Malachi, Somiar, Kalyste, Jude, Ella and Blake (all characters) demanded to know what happened to the series I promised them.

They say the best way to start a story is at the beginning. So, here I am. Dreamers are back. But there are quite a few changes. Hang on to your hats, ladies and gentlemen. All my characters are in for a wild ride. And when they meet, it will blow your mind!

***

When Malachi Walker saves Somiar Ayers from the Dreamer he's been hunting for years, he can't believe his luck. If he can keep her alive, he can catch the one Dreamer who's haunted him most of his adult life, and is responsible for the death of the man who was like a father to him.
 
In one night, Somiar's world is shattered when she finds out not only is she adopted, but comes from a race of female assassins called Dreamers. Unable to leave fingerprints or DNA, they are the perfect weapon. Now that her biological mother has been caught, Somiar is tasked to get her back. At any cost. In a deadly game of cat and mouse, Somiar must find her mother before Malachi finds out she is the key to the Dreamer he's been seeking for years. As the past descends on them and the truth of their history unfolds, they are faced with the fight of their life. But who is the cat, and who is the mouse?

Find Dreamers here.  https://books2read.com/b/4jLrNj


Comments

  1. So glad to see you, Shawn! Thanks for coming home to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to be here. This was fun to write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shawn! I'm a newer Wrangler. I definitely understand why you put writing aside for a while, and I also sympathize with your characters not leaving you alone! This looks like an amazing premise. Best of luck with Dreamers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Jana! I’m glad they stayed on my back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Shawn,
    I can so relate to losing interest in your writing, but, somehow, it doesn't lose interest in you. It calls you back to it, sometimes in whispers, and sometimes in a shout. Glad you're back to it. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back! Love your new cover. Can't wait to see what you've got in store for the rest of your world.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment