Christmas in July by Liz Flaherty #WordWranglers

I've been doing what many romance authors do in July, writing a Christmas story. I have wondered if we are the actual hidden purpose in Hallmark's Christmas in July promotion of holiday movies. Not that they would say that, of course, but it makes sense to me. 

I remember when the only Christmas romances (that I knew about) were the ones Harlequin released every fall. I'm not sure anymore what months they came out in, but I do recall how much I loved them. I'd sit and eat lunch at my favorite mall restaurant and read. One time I mistakenly bought the same book twice and Liz, the manager of Waldenbooks, rolled her eyes at me and let me choose a replacement book. As the holidays grew closer, the mall decorations and piped-in music and the busyness of the post office where I worked gave me a rush of both adrenalin and bonhomie. 

Since that dozen or so releases were the only ones I knew about, I kept them and reread them during the holidays for years after they came out. I still do. I've even re-bought favorites so they're right there on my Kindle when I need them. 

There are, of course, more Christmas romances than I could begin to recognize now. Thankfully, other holidays are celebrated in print now, too, although I have to acknowledge I don't know how many or even which holidays. I'm just glad it's happening, for the sakes of those holidays' writers and readers.

The story I wrote this July is my fifth visit to Christmas Town, Maine, a town that was born in a 2014 Harlequin anthology called Christmas, Actually, written by Melinda Curtis, Anna J. Stewart, and Anna Adams. I read that anthology and was jealous because I couldn't write about Christmas Town, too. 

Which made it all the more thrilling when I was included as an author in the indie-publication of the anthologies that followed. The stories in this year's group involve a class reunion. There will be old friends as well as new ones. We all hope you enjoy them. I don't have a release date yet for Christmas Town Homecoming, but I am sharing the cover here. I think it's gorgeous!

If you haven't visited Christmas Town yet, I'm including the links below to all the anthologies that follow Christmas, Actually. It has been such a privilege working with all the authors that have been involved. 


A little tagline / blurb for Remember When, my story in Christmas Town Homecoming: Christmas Town High School principal Aaron Slauter is having a Scrooge Christmastime, which makes him accept the invitation to the class reunion. At the back of his mind, he hopes class sponsor Markie Alexander will be attending.  

I hope it makes you curious!

A Heartwarming Christmas (2015) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011M4GQQO/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i7

A Heartwarming Holiday (2016) 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IDY6ZTO/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i2

Heartwarming Holiday Wishes (2017)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073ZMMYL2/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i8

The Christmas Wedding (2019) 

https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Wedding-Heartwarming-Bridesmaid-Novels-ebook/dp/B08178FKDS/

The Christmas Carousel (2019)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0817638SB/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i5

Be My Heartwarming Valentine (2020)



Comments

  1. I do love a good romance! Looking forward to the new Christmas Town book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with the this new Christmastown anthology, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jana. I'm reading the other stories this week--can't wait for that!

      Delete
  3. Love the whole Christmas in July thing. I've been buying Christmas decor on QVC (yes, they love Christmas in July, too), and watching a lot of Hallmark movies, as well as reading Christmas books all month. Can't wait to dive into Christmas town. So great you're a part of that. What a prolific little writer you are, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as prolific as I wish I was! I enjoy the Christmas in July stuff, too. And last year, I NEEDed it! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment