#BookReview: Liz Flaherty’s A Year of Firsts & Jana DeLeon's Trouble in Mudbug


 We’re starting a new thing here at the WordWranglers. Yes, we’ll still be talking about writing, but we’re also going to be talking about books - books we’re reading, books we like, and we’re doing to tell you all about them.  Liz started us off last week, talking about our own Nan’s Fireman’s Christmas Wish and Holly Jacobs’ Chances. 

I thought I’d add to the fun this week and talk about one of my favorite reads (so far) of this year: and it also belongs to a Wrangler! I read and loved Liz’s A Year of Firsts this summer. I’ve been on a bit of a women’s fiction kick of late, and this one hit all those WF sweet-spots, but in a fresher way. Yes, there was a second chance/striking out on a new adventure, yes, there was a bit of heartbreak from her past, yes, she was reluctant to go. 

What I loved about this book was Syd’s willingness to do the things that scared her the most - taking a solo trip, stepping outside of her comfort zone, and even taking a chance on a new relationship…and without the angst of whether or not she ‘deserved’ to take those chances and enjoy this new phase of her life. 

If you’re looking for a heartwarming, feel-good, read with just the right amount of romance thrown in, give this book a read. I think you’ll like it!

Amazon Link to A Year of Firsts. 


I’ve got one more book to tell you about - and it’s a non-Wrangler read!! After reading Liz’s Year of Firsts, I wanted to change gears a little. My solution: read something very different from anything else I’ve read this year. 

I decided to dive in to Jana DeLeon’s Ghost-in-Law series - a series of 6 slightly paranormal suspense/mystery books - and I’m so glad I did. The series is a bit of cozy mystery, a strong helping of suspense, and just the right amount of paranormal elements - and shenanigans - to keep things moving at break-neck pace.  

Trouble in Mudbug is the first in the series and it was a great set-up. Maryse is a scientist searching for a cure to cancer and kind of married (he’s been missing for years and is a deadbeat) married. Her mother-in-law dies under suspicious circumstances and Maryse learns she’s going to inherit - but she doesn’t just inherit a piece of land she inherits the ghost of her MIL, who’s murder she’s going to have to solve if she wants to be left alone.  This starts a romp of a read and I can’t wait to dive more in to this series of books! Check them out here. 

Comments

Post a Comment