October Musing

 

by Margie Senechal

I'm sitting at my desk listening to the wind ramble outside my window with sudden bursts of rain smattering the window. And I'm happy. The rain finally returned about a week ago with a vengeance as if it was our fault we hadn't had rain in months. You can tell who are true Pacific North Westerner's (henceforth, PNW) are when the rain returns. It's as if part of our soul has been restored.

The day the rain was due, I was at my desk working. Since we're remote, we do most (all) of our socializing via Teams chats. My team is scattered all around the Willamette Valley--from Salem to Beaverton to Portland to Oregon City to Vancouver (that'd be me and my sister)--and it was interesting to see how the rain moved in differently based on location. Someone had thunder, most of us had wind, some had heavy rain, others had sprinkles. Ninety-five percent of us were thrilled, we only had one outlier. 

This year the rain's return was especially newsworthy not only because it was so late but also because there was forest fire in our area. Both my sisters and mother were put on the green circle of evacuation which is get ready. We never felt like they were in danger, but the winds had picked up and the promise of rain seemed to be taunting us by easing back. An
d you just never know what will happen.

And finally, it feels like fall--leaves are falling, there are whipping winds and heavy rain pouring out of dour clouds that block the light from escaping. 

In less than a week, we head to California for my nephew's wedding. We're visiting a little northeast town called Susanville and I just added it to my weather app. It could get seriously cold while we're there. Hmmm. I think it might be near the mountains (?) as the lows are in the 20's and the highs in the 50's. I might have to rethink the light sweater I was planning to take :) That's a little bit too cold in for this PNW resident.


On the way home, we've decided to detour to Crater Lake. I've only been there once, and Jordan and my sister have never been. Once Jordan heard they might have their version of Nessie, she was all in. 

Okay, my time has come to an end as it's time to spin my chair toward my work computer and begin my day. I hope you all are enjoying fall weather as much as I am. Have a great Hallow's Eve and talk to you next month!


Comments

Post a Comment