Snowbound and Reflective

by Margie Senechal

This was the view from my front door Wednesday afternoon.  Snow was just supposed to fall for an hour. Oh, how the weather app and our weathermen failed us. I woke up Wednesday to the snow falling and just kept watching the app update each hour and then finally just give up and plaster snowflakes across the entire day.

 Instead of getting the expected dusting, we got the second-highest snowfall Portland has seen since they started keeping track at the Airport.

So, I've been snowed in since Wednesday. I don't drive in snow unless I have to and since I started working remotely, I don't have to. Another job perk.

Having been the child of a Navy man, I lived outside of Chicago when I was a toddler and all I remember is crunchy snow. A number of years later we were stationed in Keflavik, Iceland. I remember at least one blizzard, snowball fights, hiding from the MP's patrolling the base after curfew, and walking to the bus stop in snow.

This picture is pretty downtown Portland. Another thing or place I avoid like the plague. In fact, I probably wouldn't have taken this job if I'd had to drive to the Plaza downtown every day and not work from my own little corner. As you can see from the picture, I'm not the only one avoiding driving or walking.

In 2008, we had a snowstorm while I was working, and my car got trapped in the parking lot. I lived exactly one mile away, so I walked home. Fortunately, I had boots and a warm coat (rarely the case). 

I walked along the edge of the main road until I reached the turn-off. A couple of cars crept past me, but it was almost eleven by then and most people had settled into their homes. 

I walked a block off the main road before I turned onto the street that led to my house. A hush had fallen over the neighborhood. I marveled at the glistening snow, the bright stars, and the utter perfection of the night.  

Most of all, I was so proud that I had walked home in the snow. 

This last picture was taken by my bff, Chris, who was probably with me in more than one of the snowball fights in Iceland. And I know she was with me when we hid behind cars as the snow fell for the first time after curfew. She lives on the Southern Oregon Coast in Coos Bay, and the snow even fell along the beaches. 

After this week, I know a couple of things. I won't believe my app so easily again when it comes to snow, my next car is going to be 4WD, and I'm going to keep some canned foods and noodles stocked in the winter. 

Quite honestly, I really love snow. Although right now, in this moment, I'm ready for it to melt, so I can leave my house.

Have a great weekend! Be safe. Be warm. Seek out the positive. 

Comments

  1. I love your pictures! Stay safe, Margie--it really does melt. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And it's pretty much gone, only the remnants remain.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous pics, Margie. Interestingly, we here in the Midwest, are having the warmest February since heaven knows when. No more than a trace of snow all month--that's weird here. Hugs, honey, and enjoy your indoor time... be cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, we got duped by the weather folks, too, but in a far different way. Last weekend, we were supposed to have 12" of snow, then it was revised to 8", then revised again to 4". As it turned out, it flurried at my house for 15 seconds. Love your pictures and your positive take on walking the mile in it. So glad you're cozied up at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our weathermen always claim this is a difficult area to predict (except for rain, they always seem to get that one right) because of the systems meeting in the Pacific from the North and South. So, snow is always a surprise one way or the other.

      Delete
  4. A lovely blog with beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca, always good to hear from you!

      Delete
  5. Your pictures are lovely, Margie. Enjoy the snow while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment