Sweetness for the Holiday

Sure, some of us will keep our noses to the grindstone and churn out words this week. But who are we kidding? This week, of all weeks in America, is about food. So I'm going to share with you a recipe I stumbled across. I made a cranberry orange trifle for my critique group meeting yesterday, and topped it with sugared cranberries. Talk about easy to make (the cranberries, that is - NOT the labor intensive trifle). They make great gifts, look amazing on the table, and turn desserts into a work of art. Oh, and they are addicting and delicious. So, giving all the credit to Cooking Light for their wonderful recipe, please do try to make some for yourselves.


2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups water
2 cups fresh cranberries
3/4 cup superfine sugar (if you can't find it, make your own by whirling granulated sugar in a food processor for 1 minute - works just as well)

Combine granulated sugand and water in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to barely a simmer and remove from heat (do not boil, or cranberries will pop when added). Stir in cranberries, put mixture in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

Drain cranberries in a colander over a bowl, reserving steeping liquid (great to use as a cocktail mixer). Place superfine sugar in a large, shallow dish and add cranberries, gently stirring to coat. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet covered w/parchment or wax paper to dry for at least 1 hour.

Comments

  1. Christi,
    these look terrific! I think I'm going to try and make them on Wednesday to surprise my family.

    Happy Thanksgiving! Have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy, Christi! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so pretty. I'll bet you could do the same thing with other solid-kind of berries.

    I put the turkey in the fridge to thaw this morning as part of my "road to Suzy Homemaker" I take every year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment