Why I Don't Make New Year's Resolutions

I used to make New Year's resolutions every year. I stopped two years ago. I'll lose twenty pounds was my favorite. I've gained twenty. Why? It's because of another resolution I made that same year. To quit smoking. Okay, that's a resolution I've kept. For the most part. I'm chomping on a piece of nicotine gum as I write this because I found myself sucking on a cigarette yesterday. Not good.

I constantly hear about people who reward themselves for meeting specific goals. Not me. If I want something, I get it. It's not a reward, it's what I want. Now, I realize this makes me sound a little self centered and completely without dicipline, but I'm not. I like a challenge. If someone challenges me, I'm all over it. It's how I got through the military. It was a world of men who (not all of them, but quite a few) thought women were wimps. During every fitness session I had something to prove. At the end of a seven mile run, I was usually the only woman who crossed the finish line with the guys.

What does this have to do with writing? Writing is challenge. I have something to prove again. I need to prove that I can do it. Am I making a resolution about writing this year? Nah. I don't want to jinx myself. But if I were going to make a resolution...

Comments

  1. I'm not bit on resolutions either, Shawn. Usually just because I break them and feel worse than if I had just not. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Shawn. I'm not big on resolutions, but I'm definitely a rewarder when I achieve something!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment