My Best Influence


Prepare to be covered in gooey mushiness by the time this post ends. Our topic for the week is influences. Every writer emulates others to some extent, and strives to be like titans in the field. In pitch sessions, when asked whose writing mine most resembles, I of course want to answer Nora Roberts (but am smart enough not to - what artist would dare compare themselves to Beethoven or Da Vinci?). Her characterizations, the way each person, no matter how small in her books is fully formed and relatable and so three dimensional, constantly astounds me. But before I rave on about other authors, I'm going to veer another way.

You see, today is my 13 year wedding anniversary. My husband is without a doubt the most wonderful man in the world. His inherent goodness (although sometimes annoying), inspires me to at least try to be a better person. He has whole heartedly supported me and cheered me on in every single endeavor. When I (quaking with nervousness) suggested that I uproot him from his community and move to Chicago to pursue acting, he didn't hesitate to say he would help me follow my dream. He pushed me to turn writing from a hobby into a career, and doesn't blink at the time it takes...and now he's hooked on coming to conferences with me. He is selfless and incurably romantic. I don't actually base any of my heroes on him, because he is simply too amazing to be believable in a work of fiction. I love him with all my heart and celebrate his influence in my life and all the better-than-I-ever-could've-imagined times we have shared. His love truly does make my world go round.

Comments

  1. Nice post, Christi. Very sweet and touching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...

    Happy anniversary, and congratulations on staying truly connected to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwww...happy anniversary, Christi! Take some 'You' time today and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE how much you love him. What influences me? Love. My three book series is about a woman who finally loves herself, then falls in love for the first time in her fifties to a younger man who not only loves her,but adores her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! Great post. It's like a love letter to your hubby.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment