Conference Mania

It's all about conferences this time of year--my Twitter and Facebook pages are lit up with updates from RWA and in anticipation of Comic-Con this weekend. Two places I have never been, but are on my bucket list of events to attend.

I try not to be green with envy, but there are times, I become a little green monster.

I am going to my own conference next weekend, but it doesn't have near the star-power of RWA--although Diana Galbaldon, she of Outlander fame--is going to be the banquet speaker. But I usually don't spring for the $50. dinner.


A couple of years ago, I was just finishing up my lunch when Robert Dugoni sat next to me. We exchanged pleasantries and even though I had been planning to leave, I stayed. Look at him--he's gorgeous. And a great speaker and writer. I wasn't going to pass that up, even if I was too tongue-tied to carry on an actual conversation.

In 2003, I attended Surrey International Conference in Surrey, Canada, and enjoyed lunch with Terry Brooks--my all-time favorite fantasy writer. I mean, Magic Kingdom for Sale--genius. He was very nice and easy to talk to. It was really a good lunch.

Those are my literary brushes with fame. But, hey, maybe in a couple of weeks, I'll have a new story to tell. Who knows, anything can happen when you're immersed with a bunch of writers--the best people on earth, bar none.

Have a great time at RWA, maybe I'll see you next year.






Comments

Post a Comment