Help, I need some help, pleeease....help me.


Last Monday I forgot my phone at home when I went to Barnes and Noble to write. I also didn't have a watch on.

So--essentially I had no distractions and nothing to track the time. Fortunately I didn't have any plans for the rest of the day.

Especially because I spent almost four hours there and wrote nine pages. Nine pages!

For me, that's quite the accomplishment.

Apparently if I don't allow myself to be distracted, I can be quite productive.

Have I done it since?

Uhm. No. 

I think for the most part I was more writing productive when I had a job to work my writing around. I've always been a person who works best under pressure. Or maybe I just say that because I procrastinate until I have pressure and I don't have a choice. Vicious cycle.

But being a lady of leisure, I don't have to fit my writing into my day. I can do it whenever--first thing in the morning,mid-afternoon,at night. In which case, I procrastinate until I'm too tired or have plans.

After almost six weeks of not working, I still haven't figured out a schedule--except for not turning on the television or taking/making a call to my sister, Wendy. 

So, I come to you writing pen in hand, and ask--how do you make it work? Any organizational or scheduling advice taken. 




Comments

  1. It's tough. I try to write from about 10:00-noon then again after supper until I get too tired to see! I try to make this like a job where I don't give into social media until work is done, but that's also a tough one. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Margie. Cool post! I'm a complete morning person, so I'm pretty much in the office as soon as my teeth are brushed. I come out to put laundry in & take it out, fix breakfast & lunch, and run errands if necessary. Then I come back to the office. If I don't come back, I don't get the work done. In all honesty, I still write much slower than I did when I was working because the only pressure is what I put on myself, but I still have to have a schedule or I'd never get away from Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an office and I still write on the couch in front of the tv. I have no discipline at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! My wife and I set up a really nice writing office, but I sit in the living room in the "captain's chair", whacking away at the laptop. But usually I can turn off the TV and listen to movie scores, instead.

      Delete
  4. I have to write first thing in the morning. I work like I'm going in to the office. I put the coffee on, wash up, get dressed and then...go to the office. And I try to be firm about my social media. That's for the afternoon when my well has gone dry. And if I have a day, like today, when I'm not as productive as I wanted to be because I just didn't get bitten by the muse, I tough it out. That's what you'd have to do for someone else. Be your own toughest boss! Good Luck : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sia, I like that plan. And not going online until the afternoon is a great idea...except for posting my blog on Thursdays ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment