Win, lose, write







Before I became published, I used to love to enter writing contests. I was kind of a contest slut. Ahem. Not a very nice term, is it? But I did enter...a lot. After I published, I never entered any RWA contests for published books. It just seems too much work to ship books, etc.


I've entered a couple of online contests since I published and done well. But checking the RWR and planning several a  month like I used to do is in the past.


This morning a friend told me about a contest. The old blood started pumping. My pulse picked up and my heart started pounding. I realized I still love contests. Although I have a large and looming deadline, I had, had, had to take time to read the rules, format my chapter and put it in the mail.


Do I care if I final? I'd be lying if I said I didn't.


I am waiting with baited breath to see if I made the final cut. If I didn't, will it change the course of my writing path? No. If I do, it might. So it will be interesting to see if I still have it.


What about you? Have the contest bug?

Comments

  1. I like contests--no denying that--but I'm too cheap to enter them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have in the past. And each time, I say/lie to myself it's just for the "feedback". But, I sure do think about winning. And am disappointed when I don't make the finals.

    I haven't entered in a few years, tho. I think sometimes it's compulsive--so watch out, you may have just opened a can of worms :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't entered any contest lately but I used to do it also. You just have to be very careful to read guidelines. With some "free" contest--the only ones I enter--you have to be careful to make certain they can't publish your work unless you win--otherwise, don't enter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never entered a writing contest in my life. I don't like the premise that there is a 'best' book. Readers are so different, I don't think such a book exists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You so have it, D!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I entered one contest before (BIG Newbie here!!) and it was more of a popularity contest then anything. You had to get people to vote on your first chapter via twitter and facebook and the ones with the most votes moved to the next round where, I assume, they were judged on their actuall writing, LOL! I would still like to enter another contest, but this time I would pay more attention to the rules ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Contests are addicting but most I feel like are just a popularity contest. The ones I've entered said that they would provide feedback and I got nothing. Some I entered and never heard from again. Those just make me sad.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment