It's Almost October...

...and I'm not ready for fall. I realize it's a little late to say this because fall is already here according to the calendar and the chill in the air and the leaves in the bay. It's getting close to time to pull the boat out of the water, which means I may have already had my last ride for the year. And not long after that, it's only a couple more weeks before we close up the cottage and say goodbye to our lake pals for another season. Normally, fall is my favorite time of the year, but as I've gotten older, I'm more taken with summer. Summer means lots of fresh veggies and fruit and boat rides and swimming in the lake and spending long summer evenings on the deck with a bottle of wine. It's cookouts and driving trips and flowers in the garden and long walks along the bay road.

Fall is just not cutting it anymore. For one thing, everything is pumpkin flavored--coffee, tea, candy, cookies, pancakes--I saw pumpkin-flavored English muffins in the grocery store the other day. Seriously! And it gets worse--pumpkin Oreos (I am not kidding) and pumpkin spice candy corn. This has to stop, don't you think? I don't care what Liz says, not everything tastes good if you add pumpkin.

But, you know, there are still things about fall that entice me--I do like the crisp fall air and apples and baking because fall makes me want to bake and I love to bake. We can start using the fireplace at home and often, the air is filled with the scent of burning leaves, which is such a homey smell. That part's nice. And there are bike rides in the park and going to the wineries down south and bonfires at the lake...

Best of all,  IRWA Retreat happens in Autumn--a weekend devoted entirely to writing and my writing buddies. We spend two whole days talking about story and craft, brainstorming characters and plots, and we write. Man, do we write! The fellowship is amazing--a grand opportunity to get to know my chapter mates better. If you've never done a writing retreat, I'm telling you, do it. If you can't find one, plan one and invite a few authors you know to join you at a state park inn or even a hotel near your town. The week Liz and I spent in Michigan on writing retreat was inspirational and a ton of fun! And every fall, the motivation my fellow authors give me at IRWA Retreat is unparalleled; I always come away renewed as a writer.

So yeah, maybe fall is still a good season, too... but the whole pumpkin thing? Sorry, Lizzie, I am so over it!

Comments

  1. Well, other than the fact that you are soooo wrong about pumpkin, this was a great post, Nan. As I look out my window this morning, I see the part of fall that I don't like--it's a gloomy day. If the sun's shining, though, I still maintain that it's the best time of all.

    Anyone who wants to go to a great retreat (and reasonable), the IRWA one is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I confess even though I give you hard time about the whole pumpkin thing, I still love Husband's pumpkin pie! And yeah, it's been gloomy all day, but our back yard needs the rain, so no complaints. <>

      Delete
  2. Nan, I am with you on the pumpkin craze. A little pumpkin goes a long way with me. I don't see why it has to show up in everything right now. Yesterday I jumped out of my comfort zone and signed up for the IRWA retreat! For an extreme introvert such as I am this will be definitely a stretch. Yet, I am looking forward to having time with writers and pushing myself to get lots done on my current project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know you, Carolyn, but am so glad you signed up for the retreat. I too was an introvert, but retreat created a monster out of me! Now I'm comfortable just about anywhere. I still have the problem I've had all my life of not remembering faces and names. But I love people. All of them. Even the cranky ones. Retreat brings you out of yourself because you see fellowship all around you. It's invigorating and inspiring. I'm looking forward to meeting you at retreat -- and promptly forgetting your name!

      Delete
    2. So glad you're coming to retreat, Carolyn!! That's great! You'll have a blast, I promise! Maybe Claudia can share the few choice words we taught her at her first retreat! ;-)

      Delete
  3. I prefer spring, but those pumpkin-flavored English muffins are AWESOME!
    Also, the IRWA retreat opens to non-members on October 1st. We always have a great time in the beautiful, historic Bradford Woods manor house. Copy and paste this link for more information: https://www.rwa.org/p/cm/ld/fid=1406

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm going to have to try the English muffins--you're the third person to tell me how awesome they are! Can't wait for Retreat, baby!

      Delete
  4. Coffee needs no additive, no matter what Dunkin Donuts says. Fall is my favorite time of year. Too bad it is followed by that ancient coot, Old Man Winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee is perfect with simply cream and sweetener--no flavors! I kinda like winter, if I have a fire and a snuggly warm sweatshirt...

      Delete
  5. I love fall, but I'm not quite ready to give up summer, either, Nan...and I'm definitely not ready for a cold, dreary, snow-packed winter. Not even a little bit. So as long as fall is here, I'm putting my order for an extra long fall...maybe one that lasts all the way to spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't think we're supposed to have a terrible winter in the Midwest...I'll hold a good thought for a lengthy fall, Kristi!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the morning chuckles, Nan. Yet, I'm a lover of autumn and all things pumpkin. It's my favorite season and I embrace it totally! Currently, I'm in heaven with the pumpkin cream cheese from Trader Joes. It sounds like you had a lovely summer and I do envy your boat. I miss those days out on the lake here in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkin cream cheese? Really? Tell Lizzie about it, she'll hop on board! Summer was wonderful--I hate to see it end, but I'm working on my fall issues. Apple crisp tonight should help! Thanks for stopping by, Mary!

      Delete
  7. Pumpkin flavoring is how we get our required veggie servings! Love the post, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I can see right now I'm going to have to work on you at Retreat, miss Ava! <>

      Delete
  8. Love the post, Nan! I love a lot of things pumpkin, but coffee is definitely not one of them! Brrrr. Wish I were going to retreat with you all. It's a fantastic opportunity for any writer at any level.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do think the pumpkin craze has become a little bit overdone. LOL. Or a lot.
    I'm looking more forward to ginger cookies, gingerbread, and Egg nog lattes. They can't get here soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, all this talk of a writers' retreat is pure incentive for me to finish my book, get published (quit laughing...I mean"try" to get published), and join in with like-minded conspirators. Ahhh...to be among those chosen to be authors... Everyone needs a dream or two (my current one is to get a job because of tht whole money thing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jo-Ann. That whole money thing gets difficult, doesn't it? Glad you came by!

      Delete

Post a Comment