My Favorites On a Sick Day

I absolutely love the Dayquil/Nyquil commercial about moms and sick days. Partially because, like Nan and Liz, I've been struggling with a yukky cold for a couple of weeks now. Not enough to really, truly put me down, but enough that I don't feel like sitting at my computer and writing. I'm doing it, but I'd rather be doing something else. Anything. Else.

Which brings me to the point of today's post: my favorite things to do when I'm sick. You know, sick enough to not be at the computer but not so sick that I'm incoherent beneath a pile of blankets in my bed.

First, movie watching. I've found over the years that a good rom-com is great for the sickly soul. My go-tos are Sandra Bullock movies (Two Weeks Notices is a fave), but I'll settle for Julia Roberts (Notting Hill comes to mind) or Kate Hudson.

Second, chicken noodle soup. What am I munching on while watching movies? Chicken noodle soup, of course, and I'm not so much munching as I am sipping from my favorite mug. And when it gets too cold, I'll call RadioMan to warm it up a bit.

Third, playing video games. Mario games are a favorite, and since I have about 7 on my Nintendo 3DS, I have a lot to choose from. Some are hard and require a lot of attention. Some are super simple and I can just float through them.

Notice I didn't list reading as a favorite pastime when I'm sick. When I want to be lazy? Reading is a go-to. When I'm enjoying the summer sun or a winter snow? Reading is a must. When I'm sick, I don't want to expend the brain power it takes to read...because I might miss something really, truly, excellently good. I save reading for when I'm in full control of my brain functions!

What about you? What do you do when you're fighting a cold or flu bug?

Comments

  1. I read pretty constantly when I'm sick and even absorb some of what I read! TheTV is on, but my hearing is so compromised and echo-y that I can't stand it. Hope you're feeling better and that you haven't worn RadioMan down with your demands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was supposed to be a smiley face on there--don't know where it went! I'm sure he's up to the task!

      Delete
    2. lol - I'm actually a fairly quiet patient. I just want to watch TV or snuggle up in bed and be ignored. At least, I *think* that's the kind of patient I am!!!

      Delete
  2. I read...that's actually all I do when I'm sick besides sleep. I can't watch TV because like Liz, it hurts my ears. I go to my comfort reads, like Gene Stratton-Porter and Liz Flaherty. I reread A Soft Place to Fall this past week, but don't tell her because I'd hate for her to get a swelled head since it's already kinda stuffy from being sick. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Ava! I'm feeling good, but the laryngitis is hanging on...

      Delete
  4. Downton Abby got me through my bout with Iritis a few years ago. My sister had been pestering me to watch it, so laid up and unable to actually do anything, I succumbed. And fell in love with the Crawleys and their staff. It almost--ALMOST--made the Iritis worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment