2016 Indiana Golden OpportunityContest
Celebrating 26 years of helping romance writers!
· Trained judges provide feedback with track changes throughout manuscript.
· In-depth scoring-sheets to better educate writers.
· TWO acquiring editors judge category finalists.
· ELEVEN entries in 2015 had request from editors to see full manuscripts.
· TWO IGO entries won RWA® Golden Heart in last two years!
o 2014 Romantic Suspense Category winner won in 2015
o 2013 YA Category winner won in 2014.
· 2014 YA category winner is a finalist in the 2016 Golden Heart
The Indiana Romance Writers of America’s IGO!!!
We welcome you to the 26th annual Indiana’s Golden Opportunity (IGO), one of the premier chapter contests in RWA®. The Indiana chapter of Romance Writers of America (IRWA) has a well-deserved reputation for offering detailed constructive comments to our entrants from published authors and trained judges. Designed to identify the fundamentals of storytelling and grammar, our four-page category-specific score sheets will assist entrants by defining the elements in their manuscript that require more attention. Our goal is to assist IGO entrants with constructive feedback to help them polish their manuscripts.
Many past winners have successfully gone on to catch an editor’s eye and/or final and win in RWA’s Golden Heart Contest.
«««BENEFITS OF ENTERING IRWA’S IGO FOR 2016«««
- In keeping with the ever-changing publishing industry, IGO will offertwo (2) acquiring editor judges for each category finalists -- one (1) traditional print and one (1) e-pub when possible.
- Updated rules, categories, and score sheets
- Twenty-seven finalists received requests from our fabulous editor judges to see their full manuscripts over the last three years!
Please review the category definitions carefully. Manuscripts entered in the wrong category may be disqualified.
Please note that categories may have varying heat levels. All entries should have an emotionally satisfying and optimistic resolution to the romance.
- Contemporary Romance – Romance manuscripts that focus primarily on the romantic relationship and have a contemporary setting.
- Erotic Romance – Romance manuscripts in which the sexual relationship plays an integral part of the romantic relationship and the sex scenes are explicit in both description and language.
- Historical Romance – Romance manuscripts set in any historical time period.
- Inspirational Romance – Romance manuscripts in which religious or spiritual beliefs (in the context of any religious or spiritual belief system) are a major part of the romantic relationship.
- Paranormal Romance – Romance manuscripts in which the future, a fantasy world, time travel or paranormal elements are a key part of the plot.
- Romantic Suspense – Romance manuscripts in which suspense, mystery, or thriller elements constitute an integral part of the plot.
- Young Adult Romance – Romance manuscripts geared toward young adult readers.
FINAL JUDGES FOR 2015:
Traditional Print Editor Megha Parekh Editor Grand Central Publishing
Heather Howland Editorial Director Entangled Publishing
Traditional Print Editor Allison Janice Editorial AssistantBerkley Publishing
Michele Paulin Editorial Director Resplendence Publishing
Traditional Print Editor Elle Keck
Editorial Assistant AvonBook
Erin Molta Senior Editor Entangled Publishing
Traditional Print Editor Shana Asaro Associate Editor Harlequin Love Inspired
Traditional Print Editor Becky Philpott Acquisitions Editor HarperCollins Christian Publishing
Traditional Print Editor Tara Gavin
Executive Editor Kensington Books
Angela James Editorial Director Carina Press / Harlequin
Traditional Print Editor Patience Bloom Senior Editor Harlequin Books
Deb Nemeth Developmental Editor Carina Press
Young Adult Romance
Traditional Print Editor Lauren Smulski Editorial Assistant Harlequin
Stephanie Taylor Owner & Editor in Chief Clean Reads
First place winners in each of the categories will continue to the Best-of-the-Best round.
Best of the Best
Katherine Pelz Assistant Editor Berkley Publishing Group
OPEN FOR ENTRIES: May 1, 2016
DEADLINE FOR ENTRY:
AWARDS: Category winners – First place entry will receive $50 and a certificate
Best of the Best – Winner will receive a special keepsake award
The Indiana Golden Opportunity contest is open to any unpublished author in novel- or novella-length romance fiction. Published authors who have not been contracted for publication or self-published in the romance genre in the past three (3) years are also eligible to enter. If any rights (print, digital, audio, foreign, etc.) have been contracted to a publisher or exercised through self-publishing in the past three (3) years (2013 to present), author is not eligible to enter. Failure to follow IGO rules will result in disqualification and entry fee will not be refunded.
Note: Previously entered manuscripts that have been revised may be entered again if they did NOT final or win in a prior IGO Contest. Members of the Indiana Romance Writers of America are not eligible to enter.
For more information: indianarwa.com
THANK YOU FOR ENTERING THE 26TH ANNUAL
INDIANA GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY CONTEST!