What a tangled web... @ Liz Flaherty

Nan texted me this picture yesterday. It shows what she managed to do with a brand new, completely neat skein of yarn. Without even trying! Looks like playtime with the Three Little Kittens, doesn't it? But all was well. She sat by the fire and read and unraveled, and the yarn will end in a neat ball.



It's a whole lot like how many times we rewrite the first chapter, isn't it? Or, if we're subbing proposals or entering contests, the first three? We rip them apart, then sit and patiently wind them into what we hope is a nice, publishable ball.

No, I had nowhere to go with that. It was just a good opportunity to draw a parallel and make a little fun of Nan at the same time. Multitasking at its best.

***
Tierney Flaherty
I'm seven books into the 50 I've pledged to read in 2017. I started another one, a cozy mystery, which didn't hold my interest although it was funny and very good. The turnoff to me, of all things, was the setting. I just can't put cozy into Texas during its richest, biggest-hair, J. R. Ewing period. I'm reading another cozy right now, set in England (where they belong 😉) and enjoying it immensely. 

***
I'm in the second chapter of my new story--the one you  helped with last week. (I can still use some
help if you wanted to check back.) I haven't gotten to the tearing-the-yarn-apart point yet. I'm still making those sweet discoveries of characterization. The heroine is a children's book author. Who knew? She played volleyball in high school. She was Number 28 (my grandgirl Tierney's high school number). The hero is still being elusive, although his name's Luke and he's a good brother. The relationship between the heroine and her Aunt Zoey is complicated, but I don't know how--all I know is it's going to--instead of unravel--re-weave itself. 

It's going to be fun! 

***

My mind's scattered today and I'm struggling with re-weaving its frayed edges, too. It's been one of those weeks. This one will be better. I hope yours is, too.

Liz

Comments

  1. So glad I could provide a lighthearted, yet teachable moment for you, my friend! I'm at number 9 in my 50, but I counted the project I just edited, so maybe it's only 8. Anxious to see where the new story goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yarn, Christmas lights, relationships... some things are simply prone to entanglement :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't it the truth? Add Chapter Ones to that assessment!

      Delete
  3. There is nothing worse than getting a new skein of yarn and as you are pulling the end to start a project it comes out in a tangled mess. It takes such patience to work through it and make it usable. I really like where your next writing project is starting. Hope to hear more about it as it progresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn. I'm stuck this morning--apparently I need to give my yard a good, hard yank. Lol.

      Delete
  4. ...then again, sometimes it helps to yank on bits of the tangle that seem somewhat inconsequential to really begin the untangling. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, and I'm yanking this morning. Thanks for coming by, Valley!

      Delete
  5. So not all of us have Big Texas hair... lol. Was the mystery set in the 80's? I used to see them filming Dallas near where I worked all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it was in the 80s--at least it felt that way--and it really was well-done. I just couldn't connect.

      Delete
  6. You know me Aunt Liz - I love big hair! haha! ❤ Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only completed 1 book so far, but I've got 2 on the go at the moment. Good luck with your new story, Liz. I'm going to check back to last week's post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jana. I have two going and dandy little stack piling up on my Kindle.

      Delete
  8. My parallel to the tangled yarn is when I start a new jigsaw puzzle. Nothing is together but I'm excited to begin. I'm on book number five of my 50. Still trying to finish my last chapter. I know where I want to go. Trying to find the best way to get there. Somehow while putting dishes in dishwasher a piece of store appeared. It's worked it's way into my ending. Good luck Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love that! Sounds a lot like me driving past the orchard that day.

      Delete
  9. I'm on my sixth and seventh books for the 50 Book challenge. My sixth one is about 60% through but I kind of got bored with it and then Kristan Higgins new one downloaded. Not even a choice at that point. LOL So, maybe when I'm done with On Second Thought, I'll go back and see if I can finish the other one or at least skip to the end to see if I'm right about what I've guessed. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm saving Kristan's until I'm done with the one I'm reading--which is really good but longer than I want it to be. Let me know what you think of it, Margie.

      Delete

Post a Comment