Take Flight, Albatross. Take Flight

 by Margie Senechal

For the past couple of weeks, every time I sat down at the computer, I felt as if I had an albatross hanging about. And not in the good luck kind of way.

I felt guilty because I had pressing real-life tasks that had to be done on the computer. Things like taxes, insurance renewals. You know, important stuff.

But, I wanted to get words on paper and in doing so, I put the "important" stuff off. (Please, feel free to see any previous procrastination posts to understand)

Unfortunately, nothing good came out of those forays into the imagination. Because no matter how badly I wanted to write, the albatross of responsibility kept flight just over my shoulder, keeping the muse at bay.

And like the ancient mariner, we--or is it just me??--do this to ourselves. I think of all the wasted time I spent avoiding the computer and it horrifies me--and not in a Stephen King sort of way. Maybe procrastination is my ultimate albatross.

Side note. I just found out that an albatross is a bird. All these years I've imagined a gigantic beast from the gods. Maybe I shouldn't advertise my ignorance to what an albatross was seeing, as the daughter of a Navy man, I've always lived by the water.  But, this is a place for sharing hard truths or at least, embarrassing ones.

This week, I got my taxes done and if I'm honest, it was because I didn't have a choice. And I renewed JV's insurance and registered for ours under the Wag umbrella. And as sure as I'm writing this, I'm sure another albatross will appear and try to harness my imagination.

But, today, I freed my albatross and let her take flight. Hopefully, my imagination will follow suit.

Happy Thursday!!

Comments

  1. I've had some albatross time, too, lately--hope she takes off and gives us all a break! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's an annoying beast, to be sure. Good luck breaking free.

      Delete
  2. Margie - No need to feel embarrassed about your "ignorance"... When that albatross is hanging around your neck, it feels more like a gigantic mythological beast than "just a bird," doesn't it? I can't tell you how much time I have also wasted in my life, avoiding the albatrosses I needed to address. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ava for the commiserating..strength in numbers. LOL

      Delete
  3. I'm commisserating with you, too, because I've been there...more often than I'd like to remember! Here's to albatross-free days soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Albatross are actually pretty cool birds. Maybe you should feel lucky that you have one hanging around. Start feeding it and then jump on that suckers back and go for a great ride!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the albatross you freed brings you tons of creativity. And when you're done with her, can you send her my way?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment