I was going to---

Do a half year check in, but then I realized that would take about a paragraph. 

I'm under my reading goal by quite a few--I have 18 completed.  Too bad I can't count the ones I started, read most of, and for some reason, stopped.That would get me to the half way mark for sure. Maybe I should just find those and finish them. Yesterday when I was going through my Kindle to see what I"d finished, I realized I don't even remember half the books I've bought and downloaded.

And while I've made progress on Suitcases, I  am nowhere near typing the end. Last night I did have an epiphany for my hero, so that's a good thing. And this new realization adds so much to his character. But, I am resolved that any changes in the earlier chapters won't be made until after I type the end and go back for my first revision.

I guess that mind set is new progress in the self-discovery of writer Margie. In the past--maybe I should capitalize that to remind myself not to waver--I would go back and start tinkering and not making forward progress toward THE END.

I am writing by the motto--finish the edges first (thank you, Rachel Herron)--Do The Edges First. And it's hard. But, when I start to waver, I just repeat the mantra. And so far, I've been obedient to my order. 

I even created a new character in the middle of the book who needs to be introduced in earlier chapters, but I am waiting until rewrite to add her in. Yay, me.

My garden is in full bloom and it is developing into the garden of my dreams which is to say it's  reminiscent of an English  wildflower garden. It surrounds my patio so well, there is now only one exit off--that part was an accident.  I really do want to be able to get to other parts of my yard. Some of the Foxglove are taller than me.

Okay, time for me to sign off and head to work. Have a great Thursday everybody!

 

 

Comments

  1. Your flowers are gorgeous! We should ask Liz if she's counting the books she started but didn't finish. If we are, then I'd be through my fifty. ;-)

    Good that the suitcases are moving along! Yay you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--I took pictures where the weeds weren't. Lol

      Delete
  2. Love the pictures, Margie! And, yes, as long as I read more than half the book, I count it. The first two chapters and the last page, however, and I don't. :-) Usually if I read half and don't finish, it's because (for me anyway) the book is too long; when I go to the end and read the last two chapters, I find I haven't missed much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know one of the books I quit was because it was way too predictable--I should skip to the end and see if I was right. :) thank you for solidarized permission

      Delete
  3. yay for suitcases!! And don't worry, you're not the only on behind on reading (although if we're counting the started-and-stopped, I'm on target)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the suitcase love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margie, I love your Foxgloves. So beautiful! I can tell you I'm even further behind you in my reading; I'll be doing a mid-year check in in July. You can feel very good about your 18 completed books!

    It wasn't until I finally gave myself permission to write an imperfect first draft that I was able to consistently finish the novels I began. Until then I'd endlessly tinker with the first three chapters, trying to make them "perfect". Unfortunately, perfection is beyond me, so I'd never finish. When I figured out that I could iron out details in subsequent drafts, I was finally able to get to "The End". It's a very liberating feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jana! And I'm working on staying the course.

      Delete

Post a Comment