Summer Reading

For a lot of people, summer is a time for reading. What’s better than reading on a blanket at the beach? Or snuggling with a favorite book in a hammock at the cottage? The great thing about reading is that you can do it anywhere. One of my favorite places to read is at home on my deck. And I do a lot of reading on long road trips – print books when my husband is driving and audiobooks when I am.

I’d like to share some of the books I’m reading this summer, and I’d love if you can tell me what you’re reading.


I recently finished ABOUT THAT NIGHT by Julie James. Ms. James is one of my favorites and I love her series about US attorneys and FBI agents, set in Chicago. This one had a great conflict: a US attorney who falls in love with a convicted felon. Fortunately, this felon wasn’t exactly dangerous – he’s a computer genius who blew up Twitter – but his status means he should be off-limits to a US attorney who wants to maintain her squeaky-clean reputation. Unfortunately, he’s the perfect man for her. What’s a girl to do?


I’m in the middle of THE LIAR by Nora Roberts. Shelby discovers that the man she married wasn’t at all who she thought he was. I haven’t read one Ms. Roberts books in a while, and reading this one makes me remember why I gobbled up so many of her books in the past. I love that, through Ms. Roberts writing, I can almost hear the Tennessee accents of the characters. It makes the people come alive for me. Can’t wait to find out how this one ends!


I’ve got another book I’m in the middle of (I really shouldn’t start one book before I finish the last one!). When Celestina finds herself in crippling debt, Ryan makes her an offer: he’ll pay off her debt if she gives herself to him in bed, yielding control completely to him. UNDER CONTRACT by Jeffe Kennedy is BDSM romance. I don’t usually go for the kinky stuff, but Ms. Kennedy is a master at telling erotic love stories. I guess I enjoy it so much because at its heart, it’s a really good love story. I really have to finish this one and I look forward to reading more books by Ms. Kennedy.


Last summer I read SOMEWHERE IN FRANCE by Canadian author Jennifer Robson. I loved it, so when I found a sequel to this World War One story in my local bookstore, I had to pick it up. MOONLIGHT OVER PARIS is set in Paris in 1924. After a failed engagement and an illness that almost kills her, Helena wants to start over someplace where no one knows her. So she goes to Paris to live with her aunt for a year. She wants to break away from the constraints of English society she’s left behind. But is she strong enough to grab the life and love she wants? I can’t wait to start this book. When I finish this one,there's another book in this series that's calling my name. AFTER THE WAR IS OVER tells the story of two characters from SOMEWHERE IN FRANCE. I have to know what happened to them!

I need to get busy reading! What book(s) have you read this summer? What would you like to read?

Comments

  1. Your list sounds wonderful. I love Julie James, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's difficult to fit in all the reading I'd like to do with all the writing I want/need to do. But it's so enjoyable! Yes, I love Julie James. One of the many things I like about her writing is that she really knows her setting of Chicago. I don't know the city at all, but she really brings it alive for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked The Liar, hope you do, too! And I just finished Come Sundown (also a Nora book) that was fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really liking The Liar so far. I'll keep Come Sundown in mind for down the road.

      Delete

Post a Comment