Untethered and Adrift


Yesterday Liz talked about the little pieces of ideas that wander through her writer’s mind—snippets of conversations, words, things we notice that perhaps no one else notices. I told her I loved her lavender couch when we chatted this morning, which of course got us going on what kind of dream house we'd each have. It also got me thinking about where my random ideas rest—on a chintz chair, I think. Faded old flowered fabric on a huge overstuffed chair sitting in a sunny spot in my house. Maybe an ottoman, but it doesn’t have to match because honestly, my decorating style is as random as my ideas. So, here’s a list of just a few of the thoughts from my chintz chair. I’d love to hear yours!
  • Streaky sunset
  • She exuded grace and intelligence
  • A child mute and blinking in terror
  • He let go of my hand and suddenly I was untethered and adrift in my own thoughts.
  • Rumpled (isn’t that a great word?)
  • A train stops at a small snow-covered station
  • What if I look in the mirror and someone else stares back.
  • He crooked his finger in a come-hither gesture (Okay, I used that one in Saving Sarah, but it’s still on the table because it’s such a wonderfully sexy word picture.)
  • earthy and raw
  • Coffee that tasted like morning . . . or was it the other way around?
Oh, and while you’re out there shopping in the ebook world, preordering Liz’s Heartwarming Holiday Wishes, I'd love it if you'd click again and preorder Saving Sarah, which releases on September 26. Merci beaucoup! Have a great Tuesday, everyone!

Saving Sarah

~~Nan~~


Comments

  1. I love "rumpled." Makes me think of Professor Bhaer in Little Women, and as much as I wanted Jo to marry, Laurie, I still loved the professor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of my favorite books, as you know, and yes, I wanted her to marry Laurie too, but he was so wrong for her. When you're 12, it's hard to see that though...

      Delete
  2. Great ideas... you should hurry up and write them all! (no pressure ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ava--well, at least one of them has showed up...these are just a few off the list I should write. Ack! No pressure at all... ;-)

      Delete
  3. Good ones, Nan! I like the child mute and blinking in terror best. Evokes a very clear mental image. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dunno where that one came from--it's one that I woke up in the middle of the night and scribbled on the pad next to my bed. Actually, my list has a lot of those and sometimes they don't make sense. I like that one too, but so far a story hasn't emerged. Thanks for stopping by, Cheryl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie--that's only too true. Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  6. Nan,
    I'm currently immersed in Once More From the Top. (reading text to speech on my Kindle) I've even been taking the long way home from the office because I don't want the book to end :( As for rumpled, there are no rumpled pages with this read, bc I'm 'listening' and savoring every page. xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Jen, thanks so much! Glad you're enjoying OMFTT! I've never done text to speech--how does that work? Hugs, sweetie!

      Delete
  7. what a fun list of ideas!! Thanks for sharing, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristi--who knows if they'll ever turn into anything. ;-)

      Delete

Post a Comment