The Name Game

Image result for character names  memesby Margie Senechal

I've been thinking about character names a lot lately. Probably because I realized that I keep using variations of the same name or with the same letter.
I really seem to to like the letters A, J, and R.

In three manuscripts, I have variations of the name Ann--I have Analise, who goes by Ana, Annie, and Anastasia. I also have an Ashlynn.

I have three different Rileys. I've decided to change one of those to Ronald but he'll go by Reb. And in that same manuscript I have a transgender name Rory. 

Since Bix, I've been partial to names with an X. They're something so  definitive about that letter.  I have a Dex and Jax. And while looking for a meme for this blog, I came across Axton. A and X--a name made in Margie heaven.

But, then in Suitcases, I've changed the name of Danny's wife and Ana's mother like ten times. I still haven't committed to either character what their name should be. Danny's daughter's name is/was Sophie, but then I realized I had another WIP where the main character's name is Sophie. 

AGH!

I'm sure other writers have this same struggle. Please do share.

And have a great Thursday, may it propel you into a wonderful weekend.

Comments

  1. I struggle with names, especially when a name *seems* to come easily. Those are the names I worry about -- because it always seems like those are the names that end up changing 1/2 way through the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m the opposite-the names that come easily feel destined.

      Delete
  2. Generally, once I give a name, the character won't give it up. I have one who's in the last book, the one coming out, and the one I'm writing whose name I had to change and I've NEVER gotten used to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had to “had” to change a name, I’d probably feel the same. When I realized Darby’s name was somewhat an anagram of Bix’s(Bixby Darwin), it was too late, her name was “stuck” on me.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes a character's name comes to me and it fits perfectly right from the start. But sometimes I have to hunt for a name, and change it several times before it 'feels' right. The same thing happens with book titles. In the series I'm currently writing, I've changed the names of the books three times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to mention that I have another X name for you. Last summer we had a server in a restaurant, a young lady, named Paxton. I'm gonna use that name sometime!

      Delete

Post a Comment