The Reading Edition

Image result for CaravalImage result for the life she was givenLast year, I committed to reading 50 books. And if I counted the books I started and didn't finish, I'd have surpassed that. Some of them got set aside for another read, some got set aside because of life, and others, well, because I just couldn't read another word either of the book or just at that time.

But, I did finish 48 books! So, I think I did pretty well. I'm committing to another fifty this year and I'd best get started because we're on day 11 of the year and I've yet to read a book.

Over the year, I discovered new authors, new-to-me authors, and rediscovered my love of the historical--especially books set in the World War eras.

Out of the 48, there were a few that stuck with me even into the new year and I thought I'd share those with you.
Image result for the secret ingredient wishes 
Image result for the peculiar miracles of antoinette martinOne sub-genre I discovered I really enjoy is the circus book. Caraval by Stephanie Garber and The Life She Was Give by Ellen Marie Wiseman. I also discovered the HBO series, Carnivale.

I found some authors to feed my magical realism fix. 

Image result for last Christmas in parisImage result for I liked my lifeThere were more that I wanted to share but I'm running out of time. So, briefly, one of my other favorite surprises was the novel, I Liked My Life by Abby Fabiaschi. I'm pretty sure it was her debut novel, but I'm a fan for life after reading that.

Another author I discovered was Hazel Gaynor after reading her book, The Cottingly Secret and ending the year with her and writing partner, Heather Webb with Last Christmas in Paris.  And to begin the new year, I'm reading an ARC of Heather Webb's The Phantom's Apprentice.

How about you, any discoveries in your year of reading? 

Have a great Thursday!

 

Comments

  1. I rediscovered the memoir (and I've gone on and on about it) ... One that has stayed with me is Dani Shapiro's Still Writing and another is The Bright Hour by Nina Riggs...both of those books have stayed with me. And Bright Hour absolutely haunts me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll have to check those out. If not for me, then KB. She loves memoirs.

      Delete
  2. Forty-eight books read is amazing. I only got to 30. And I mainly stayed in the romance genre or in writing craft books. This year I'm going to try to venture out of my reading comfort zone into some new territory. That's why I enjoyed belonging to a book club; I was forced to read books I may not pick up on my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I joined Great Thoughts, Great Readers on FB and have widened my reading horizons.

      Delete
  3. I haven't finished making my entries, but got around 40 (completed) and probably started another 20. I'm hoping to do better in 2018. Like Kristi, I've gotten much joy from memoirs. We're doing a book club at the library this year. I will finish, of course, on the months I lead the club, but the others? Not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I started like 20, too. We should just go back and finish them to get s jump on this years numbers. Lol

      Delete
  4. Wow! 48 books?!? When did you sleep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of them were read in spurts. Lol or Blazer games my hubby and KB were watching.

      Delete

Post a Comment