Words or Resolutions?

Happy New Year! 2018 is upon us and for me the new year came in like fog--on little cat feet. We had a lovely quiet New Year's Eve with our kids, celebrating the fact that they've just moved back home after living 2000 miles away for the last fifteen years. We toasted all the joys of 2017 and said good-bye to all the sorrows. And we made no resolutions for 2018 because, inevitably, we won't keep them. Trust me on this--I've made roughly about 50 New Year's resolutions and I've never kept a single one.

So this year, I'm picking a word instead of making any resolutions--one word that describes what I want for 2018. A word that sums up my goals and dreams for the next year. It was hard because there's a lot that I need to get done in the twelve months. Words like ORGANIZE and FOCUS came to mind. And others, like MAGIC and GRATITUDE, HEALTH and ACTIVITY also made the list. I need to get organized and to focus on my writing career because I have a deadline. I am grateful for my life and my health and I do certainly need to stay active to maintain that. And who couldn't use a little MAGIC in their year?

But the word I kept coming back around to was PEACE. It's a biggie and a rare commodity in the world today. The Dalai Lama says that "we can never make peace with outer world until we make peace with ourselves." Although I think he was quoting someone else, I remember President Reagan once saying, "peace is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with conflict by peaceful means." And I read somewhere that "inner peace does not mean that you are in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

So, in 2018, I'm going to relax my mind, quiet my mind, and open my heart. I'm going to find PEACE. 

How about you? Resolutions or a word for the new year?

Comments

  1. As you know, I have six words this year, although I'd have to say I think "peace" is the best choice of all. Happy New Year. See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peace is a wonderful word for the year, and it's something I need to work on, too. I chose BLOOM, for a lot of reasons....that we'll talk about tomorrow. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like bloom--anxious to hear that story! Hugs, baby!

      Delete
  3. Peace is a wonderful word, and perfect for you! I’m still working on my word... I’m afraid it might end up being WTF! 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your word will turn up when you least expect it, Ava, but in the meantime, Peace to you. Hugs, sweets!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely word and a lovely thought, Nan. Still working on mine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment