Publishing Aftermath

By Ava Cuvay

The last time I blogged here, I had just released my third book: “Blood King.” Release days are always exciting for an author. All the countless hours of writing, rewriting, editing, worrying, and fretting finally come to an end and we send our baby out into the world as perfect as we can make it, and hope that our readers love it as much as we do.

But what do we do after that enormous Ta-Da!? While I can’t speak for other authors, I know I’ve been doing something very important: Not a thing.

Ok, that’s not exactly true. I’ve been marketing my book a bit, unlike my previous two books. I’ve done facebook ads, Amazon Ads, and focused Newsletter promos. The results have been positive, which is amazing. And while most authors would take this opportunity to begin the next book, I’m not.

Granted my plan was to switch focus and work on children’s book #2. It’s written so all I have to do are the illustrations. As in, “all” I have to do… like I can just whip them out. And instead of working on the illustrations, I’ve been procrastinating (one of my special skills ;-) Neither have I been working on romance book #4.

And I’m not beating myself up about it.

The Holidays are approaching, my kids have school performances coming up. I’m just not feeling it. At present, I’m simply resting on my laurels for a while before I get back into it. In the meantime, I wish everyone a Happy Halloween! If you’re in the mood for a new vampire story, check out my “Blood King.” Or if you’ve already moved on to Christmas, Nan’s newest is out. And I believe Liz has a Christmas story as well. (Yep, we got something for everyone! J

Comments

  1. Sometimes I think we just need to rest - especially during the busy holiday season! Congrats on your new release, Ava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, and the thing about having kids is that they grow up and you don't get to do it again. Congratulations on your release and "break a leg" to the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, sometimes you just have to sit back and live your life...Liz said it well--no do-overs when you raise your kids, so enjoy them now! Blood King is a good story--so glad to hear it's doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last March, after I self-published my three book series, I was exhausted. By the time I sent the books out into the world, hunted for reviews and did some marketing, I had to take a bit of a break, too. It took me a while to write something new. So I totally get where you're coming from. Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment