Conquering the Blank Slate


by Margie Senechal

The blank page is a scary place for a writer. I'm thinking that while I stare at this blog page and I can't think of anything to write. But, now I have like 30 words and the page no longer blank. Maybe my thoughts are tied to my fingers. Hmmm

I am tired of living of a merely existing life. One in which I work, return home exhausted, and really don't do much of anything else. My two days off are generally spent in catching up on all I didn't do on those other five days, seeing a movie with Jordan, scheduled appointments...

I want to learn to live a life of intent. I want to choose my course, not just drift on the course I'm on.

To that end, last week I wrote out a five-year goal list. Some of the items on that list were:
--lose 100 pounds
--be working 30 hours a week
--published 2-3 books
--go to Rachel Herron's Italian writing getaway

There are other things on the list, but I'd have to leave the computer and find them, and since I only have 30 minutes before I have to go to work...

After I wrote my 5 year goal list, I decided what I wanted to tackle in the present to work towards those goals. Like losing 2 pounds a month.

And as for writing, Rachel Herron's newsletter dropped in my email the day after I wrote the list and she was talking about the success of her first 90-day novel writing course. And breaking down your writing goals into achievable daily goals.

SO, for my suitcases manuscript, I have 25K words. I figure it should be about a 60-65K when it's finished. I want to finish it by the end of July. I did the math and I should be writing 900 words a day.

Although, since I made that decision, I've only written a few hundred in three or four days. So, I need to really commit to that goal or my total words per day will increase if I want to be finished by August.

I'm listening to the rain hit my tree out my desk window and really wishing I didn't have to go to work this morning and could stay at the computer and write forever...

Soon, my muse, soon.

Comments

  1. Great post, Margie, and good luck with your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the post, and I think you can do it, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! To be honest, I'll be happy to hit 500 with my goals. LOL That's still tons better than I'm doing now.

      Delete
  3. Breaking down those big goals into smaller, more manageable pieces really helps. Like having a monthly goal for weight loss. It's easier to think about losing five pounds than 100. Best of luck, Margie. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about breaking it down. Thanks for the cheers!

      Delete

Post a Comment