About Love and Murder by Brenda Whiteside #wordwranglers



How do you feel about series books? I don’t read series exclusively, but when I find one I like, it’s like hitting the lottery. I want each book to be a story in itself, but I love steeping myself in a setting or a family or a culture. I love getting involved with characters who will appear in subsequent books, even if in minor roles.

A few years ago, I decided to write a series. I intended for each book to be a standalone, but the places and people would reappear throughout the stories. Born and raised in Arizona, the setting was natural. My cast of characters for the first three books came to me like they’d been hanging around, waiting for me to notice them. I committed to five books to my publisher…and that’s the contract I got. Yikes! Set in stone. With only three story lines in my head, I dug in and tried not to worry about books four and five.


Luckily, someone emailed me after reading book one and commented that they hoped Penny (nick-named the Black Fairy for her Goth style) would have her own book. Book four took shape. I had no idea when she did her walk-on part in book one what a past she’d had—thirteen years hiding from a murderous FBI agent hired by a presidential candidate. And they come after her in book four, The Power of Love and Murder.



Unfortunately, no one came forward with a comment to get my muse inspired for book five. As is the usual way I work, the two main characters stepped forward, but their stories were hard to squeeze out of them. I learned my lesson—never commit to more than three books, and if inspiration comes for more, all the better. As it turns out, the blood, sweat, and tears of wringing out a story for book five proved worth it. The Deep Well of Love and Murder is one of my most complicated plots to date, and I managed to bring in all the main characters from the first four books.



Blatant self-promotion now: The Deep Well of Love and Murder is on sale for $1.99 until March 19 on Kindle, iBooks, and Nook. You can read them out of order, so go ahead and dive in to book five.

Kindle:

Nook:

iBooks:

***

Brenda Whiteside is the author of suspenseful, action-adventure romance. Mostly. After living in six states and two countries—so far—she and her husband have decided they are gypsies at heart, splitting their time between Northern Arizona and the RV life. They share their home with a rescue dog named Amigo. While FDW is fishing, Brenda writes stories of discovery and love entangled with suspense.

She blogs and has guests: https://brendawhiteside.blogspot.com/

Comments

  1. Congratulations and best wishes
    D. V.🦉

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool! I love when readers are inspired by characters. Best of luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make writing the story easier, Jennifer. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I so enjoyed reading your post, Brenda! In my humble opinion, readers are the reason I write my stories. They walk this journey with my characters, often times re-reading the stories. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the response we want, isn't it, Mary? Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Really good post, Brenda. I can certainly relate to your advice on committing to series. I was all set to produce series--when I realized for various reasons that wouldn't work! Learned my lesson and now I'm much more cautious when I tackle something like that. And I love it when readers say, "Oh, I can't wait for (a secondary character's) story." It does push that creative button :) Best of luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love series books - can't wait to dive in to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm current writing book 3 in a four book series. I know who the characters are in book four and I even have a name for the book, which is a relief because I could not for the life of me come up with a name for book 2. But I don't exactly have a plot. In broad strokes I know what has to happen, or at least what I want to happen, and I kind of know what the characters' internal conflicts will be. Hopefully, by the time I finish book 3, inspiration will strike. Or maybe some really smart reader will email me! Congrats Brenda!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment