On your mark... by Liz Flaherty #WordWranglers

724 words!
Aw, you beat me by 20--I got 704.
566, but I had to look something up.
I edited half a chapter!
Only 300--the phone rang.
I got out of a scene I've been in for days!
Finished the chapter--yay!

It's nothing new for the Word Wranglers to have an online conversation--social distancing is the way most of us became friends and have stayed friends for years. We have things in common and yet are vastly different as well. Our age range is decades wide and we live all over the USA and Canada. This all leaves us with plenty to say. 

So a few weeks ago, some of us decided to revive an old practice and do writing sprints. I've written about them before (although I can't find where) and have enjoyed their success. There is a Facebook group, Sprintwriters, that is devoted to the practice. Author Alicia Rasley started it years ago and people fall in and out of it as is dictated by their needs. 

Kristi, Ava, Nan, Margie, and I have fallen in this time. We've done numerous half-hours, reporting back to the group at the end of each one. Sometimes it's several of us, sometimes only one, but the "reporting back" seems to be an important ingredient in this particular recipe. The comments at the top of this are parts of conversations had in those reports. 

I am so excited by the results of our sprints. It's a little weird to me that I often write more in that 30 minutes than I do the rest of the day all put together, but the sprints are just writing. No social media, no talking--even if the phone rings, you get off quick and add the time to the end of your sprint--no squirrels to pull your attention away from the infamous blank page. If your cup or glass is almost empty you need to refill it before you start--walking away isn't an option. 

The Word Wranglers came together years ago as a critique group. We don't critique anymore, but sprinting together has the same feel, the same camaraderie. I'm so glad we got it back. If any writers out there care to join us, the Sprintwriters are a private group, but accepts new members. 

Hope to see you there. Until then, I'm going for 30 at 10:00. Anybody else? Set and go!



Comments

  1. Sprinting has been good for me during the quarantine ... a practice I'm going to keep going once we're back to whatever normal is going to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the sprints! It would be so lovely to get this book done way early and start on the next one well ahead of time. Sprinting is helping! Thanks, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried sprinting, but I know some writers have had good success with them. How long are your sprints?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We go 30 minutes. Krist sometimes goes longer, but she’s younger. 😊 I hope you join us!

      Delete
  4. It's hell being three hours later than you all. LOL When you announce your sprints, I'm usually on my way to work or getting ready for work. But, starting May 7th, I have a week off, so maybe I'll be able to join you then...Until then, keep up your great words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you do! Even if you don't, enjoy your week off. :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment