One Month In by Jana Richards




Joanna Penn had this quote at the beginning of a webinar recently. I thought it fit the times.

One month ago today my office closed. Sort of. We were all sent home and since then my colleagues have been working from home. But my work requires that I be in the office to use the accounting system. So, that part of my weekly routine came to a standstill. Along with my small paycheque.


Check out the above video. Sometimes working at home goes awry. 

March 17, 2020 was the day the Covid-19 pandemic got very real for me. Or maybe it was Friday March 13th when I popped into Safeway to pick up some eggs and discovered a lineup of carts all the down the store. Apparently, everyone suddenly needed toilet paper.

Little by little my world has become smaller and smaller until now it pretty much consists of my house, and when it’s not snowing, my yard. But of course, everyone else is in the same boat, so as they say, we’re all in this together.

Anyway, it hasn’t been all bad. I’ve had more time to write and work on other writing business. My gym closed but my yoga instructor has been offering virtual classes that I love.
The best thing I’ve done is to take the “social” part of social distancing to heart by keeping in touch with family and friends. I am normally awful about phoning and writing, but I really wanted to know that everybody was okay, so I’ve made the effort.

I saw this on a blackboard at a restaurant on Friday the 13th. I miss restaurants.

It’s funny how much you miss the little things when they’re suddenly gone. I’ve been compiling a mental list of things I plan to do when the pandemic is over. It sounds like it may be some time before I can put my list in action, but I’m going to be ready. Here goes:

1. The first thing I’m going to do is get a haircut. I have short hair and I normally get it cut once a month. Let’s just say I’m pretty shaggy right now. I’m going to give my hairdresser a big hug when I see her!

2. I’ll go to the mall and walk around without worrying about maintaining a two-meter distance from fellow walkers. Maybe I’ll actually sit beside someone in the food court.

3. I’m getting a pedicure. It was one of those things I meant to do but didn’t get around to, and now I can’t. By the time this ends it will likely be summer, so I’ll need one.

4. I’m going out to a restaurant. I only hope they survive in order to reopen.

5. I’m going to the gym. I whined and complained about going, but now that I can’t go I miss it.

6. I’ll buy my own groceries at the store instead of ordering online and having them delivered. That way I’ll get the body lotion I need instead of body wash. But I’ll say thank you in person for taking care of us.

7. I’ll hug my colleagues. I miss them.

That’s my list so far. I’m sure more things will occur to me as time goes on. The important thing right now is to be safe by staying home and social distancing. We’ll get through this.

Have you started a list of things you’d like to do when the pandemic is over? 

Comments

  1. A great list, Jana. I'll come along for the walk on all those adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love that, Liz! Someday we'll be able to travel again and I'd love to see you guys in person. We need to make that happen.

      Delete
  2. I love this list, Jana, and some of the things I'm going to do (hair appoint at the top!) are on there, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might get my daughter (who is living with us) give me a little trim. But then again, I've seen some really awful "Corona Cuts" online. Maybe I'll just continue to be shaggy. But really, if shaggy hair is the worst thing that happens to me, it's not so bad. My finances have been impacted a small amount, but nothing like some people. We're doing okay. And so far, my family and I have been healthy, so I'm grateful for that. I hope you and your family also stay healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Jana. It's how everyone is feeling, but you've just reminded us to be patient about this time in our lives and to look forward to the simple things again. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment