Comfort My Way

by Margie Senechal

On Tuesday, Kristi blogged about finding comfort in books. While I've also done that--check out Rebecca Raisin's Travelling Shop duo, now on sale for .99 on Kindle.

But, I'm going to talk t.v. In particular, what shows I find comforting.


As I write this I have Ally McBeal on my Kindle in front of me. Ally is as far away from my life as could possibly be. But, I love her. I love the quirky little characters that populate her life and work. And the season where Robert Downey Jr shows up. Well, be still my heart. (PS--he even sings in a few episodes).

Bones is my other go-to classic. Maybe I just like the commodore of the characters and the casts of these shows? Hmmm  For me, one of the best parts of Bones is Seely Booth's eyes when he looks at Bones--whether it's because he can't believe what's coming out of her mouth or because he loves her...well, David Boreanaz is simply wonderful.

So, onto this decade or maybe just this year. Two new shows have captured my heart. 

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist is simply wonderful. It reminds me of Eli Stone back in 2008 (yes, I had to look it up). And this cast! Jane Levy, Skylar Astin, Lauren Graham, Peter Gallagher, and Mary Steenburgen. Add music, dancing, and the humor of Mo (Alex Newell) and you've got a total diversion from reality. And who doesn't need that these days?

Lastly, the newest edition is Baker and the Beauty. This one is like a romance novel come to life, but maybe better. The Baker is Daniel, the oldest son of Cuban-American baking family who meets the Beauty, international superstar Noa, after a botched marriage proposal (not what you'd think) and embarks on a night of what feels like a fantasy to him. 

What propels Baker is the entire Garcia family. In this time of strife we're going through, it's nice to watch a family who sincerely loves each other and while struggling with their bakery, hopes for a better future. There's only been three episodes so far, but each episode is better than the last. Can't wait for Monday to get here.

So, there you go...now tell me if you've found something that's helping you get through the days. 


Be safe and stay well!

Comments

  1. I give myself a few episode of Grace and Frankie, and have the DIY channels on while I'm sewing, and that about covers my TV watching. I know how old I am because I've never seen anything that everyone else watches. :-) Lots of writing and sewing for me. Other than being able to see people I want to, life has been easy. Hugs to those for whom it's not and gratitude to the Front Line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great suggestions, Margie. I have to admit that I've sobbed through a few series finale's during this time (Mod Fam and 5-0 to name two). I need to add Baker & the Beauty to my queue, I think, because it looks fun. I've also been binging on Hallmark movies (a couple of their cozy-movie-series are fun escapism).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good suggestions, Margie! I forgot about Ally McBeal. I'm thinking I may start binge-watching Gilmore Girls or Anne of Green Gables (the original PBS series) since we finished The Good Wife and I need some sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started watching Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist by accident and I really enjoyed it. It sort of reminds me of Pitch Perfect and Glee. (I don't remember Eli Stone) I saw the end of Modern Family and loved it, very funny and a little bittersweet. I'm sort of like Liz, not a big TV watcher other than HGTV, but I do have some favorites and they do give me comfort.I still need to look up Baker and the Beauty. I haven't even seen a trailer for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. QVC. Oh, how I love them, and they love me! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment