Kristina's #OwnVoices Summer Lovin' List

Hiya, WordWrangler readers! We're continuing our 'summer romance' theme this week, and I thought I would share with you a few of my favorite #ownvoices romance authors (and books).

My first romance novels were borrowed from my grandmother's keeper shelves, but I quickly read through those and hit up our local library where I read books by Beverly Jenkins and Brenda Jackson. Here are a few of my favorite romances - go grab them, you're going to love them!

You Can't Plan Love by Synithia Williams

I love the sense of community in Synithia's books, the deep characterization, and the yummy banter! Y'all know I'm a soap opera fan and this book hits all my soap opera feels - Kenyatta thinks she is making the safe choice, but her heart has things to say about opting for safety. If you're in the mood for a bit of a love triangle and some soapy fun, try out You Can't Plan Love.

Here's a bit about the book: After several bad relationships, Kenyatta Copeland decides to control her love life with the same discernment she uses in her professional life. Knowing firsthand the heartbreak that comes when desire and emotion rule a relationship, Kenyatta assumes marrying Brad Johnson will lead to a stable life. But as much as she believes she can plan her future, it’s hard to ignore the way her boss, Malcolm Patterson, ignites her passions with just one look. 


Midnight by Beverly Jenkins

I was ... 13, I think when I picked up my first Beverly Jenkins book. And I've been voraciously reading her books ever since. She writes characters that are so real, it's like they're telling you their story. Her sense of place and time are vivid and I'm left with that happy-sigh feeling when I get to the end of each one. Which is when I start looking for my next Ms. Bev read. 

Here's a bit about this book: In Boston, revolution is in the wind—yet none would ever suspect Faith Kingston of treason. But under cover of darkness, the beautiful daughter of a Tory tavern owner becomes the notorious spy “Lady Midnight,” passing valuable secrets to the rebels. Dedicated to fighting British tyranny, she’ll let nothing distract her— until a dark, mesmerizing stranger enters her life.


A Princess in Theory by Alyssa Cole

I started reading this series (The Reluctant Royals) this winter and it's so much fun! These were my first Alyssa books, and I can't wait to read more by her. Her characterization is on-point, I love that her heroines are smart and take-no-prisoners, and that her heroes allow their women to lead. Because don't we all deserve that?

Here's a bit about this book: Between grad school and multiple jobs, Naledi Smith doesn’t have time for fairy tales…or patience for the constant e-mails claiming she’s betrothed to an African prince. Sure. Right. Delete! As a former foster kid, she’s learned that the only things she can depend on are herself and the scientific method, and a silly e-mail won’t convince her otherwise. Prince Thabiso is the sole heir to the throne of Thesolo, shouldering the hopes of his parents and his people. At the top of their list? His marriage. Ever dutiful, he tracks down his missing betrothed. When Naledi mistakes the prince for a pauper, Thabiso can’t resist the chance to experience life—and love—without the burden of his crown.

Why am I sharing only #ownvoices books in this list? Because I think it is important to recognize and spotlight authors of color. Their stories are important and too often, in the past and the present, their books aren't given enough credit, recognition, or even notice. For a long time, Black romances weren't even shelved with the rest of the romance novels. Black authors currently receive lower advances and fewer promotional opportunities from many publishing houses, there are fewer Black editorial voices...the list goes on.

By spotlighting a few of these authors and books, my hope is that we all diversify our reading lists. That we create more parity in publishing, in general, but especially in romance because that is the genre that I love.

Happy reading!                                 ~ Kristina

Comments

  1. Great post and great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun suggestions! Thanks, Kristi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the suggestions, Kristi. I have to admit, I haven't yet read these authors. Highlighting the works of authors of color is very important, especially when their books are as good as these ones sound!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment