A Little Bit of Heartbreak by Liz Flaherty #WordWranglers


Last week, I got what we used to euphemistically call a "decline" from Harlequin, for whom I've written four Heartwarming books, a Silhouette Special Edition, and two Carina Press releases. It wasn't my first refusal from them, or the worst. My editor is one of the good guys and I appreciate his effort over the years. 

The reason for the heartbreak is that while it wasn't my first rejection from Harlequin, it probably is my last. The rejection was of a series, one I put a lot of heart and thought into and which I still believe was a good match with Heartwarming. 

But I understood their reasons. I understood that as I have aged--really fast, by the way--much of the world of romantic fiction is like Peter Pan and "won't grow up." They do, of course, grow up, but even when they have older protagonists, they tend to give them young worries, concerns, and libidos. At least, I think they do. When I write, however, I don't. 

And that brings up the fact that my voice doesn't exactly fit--never has. My editor has had to drag me back from the dark women's fiction side with every book. He may well be tired of doing that, although he hasn't said so. I tell you that because, although my grapes may be on the sour side, I've done a lot of the fermenting myself. 

So. Am I done? No. 

Am I starting over? No. 

Writing "at a certain age" is like living at the same age. I still go when and where I can, do what I can, love the same guy, and have a great time. Every single one of those things has undergone changes--some of them drastic!--over the years, but the pleasure and the satisfaction derived from them haven't lessened at all. 

The truth is, if your life has been full, if you've loved people and done things and learned things, your heart has been broken. More than once and to varying degrees. Sometimes it's just a chip, sometimes a deep crack that goes all the way across and all the way through. Sometimes it's shattered. 
Writing this out--writing's what I do, after all--has made me see that this decline, this change of plans, is nothing more than a chip. Its sharp edge will smooth with time. Life is good.


For now, I hope you'll order Last Chance Beach: Summer's End if you haven't already, and I hope you enjoy it. I'm working on something else now, too, and thinking of what to do with it. I hope you stick around to see how my story continues, and I hope your heartbreaks are all chips. 

Gotta go. I have a story to finish. 


Comments

  1. I'm sorry about the reject, sweets, but you must never stop. Your voice is gorgeous and we need your storytelling and your stories. Send that series out elsewhere -- it's going to sell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's just been one of those times. All writers have them. :-(

      Delete
  2. I agree with Nan. You have a gorgeous voice. I've published one book with Carina and I've pitched two more (one a series), and I was rejected. I was disappointed and maybe a little heartbroken at the time, but like you said, that crack has smoothed over and I don't even notice it now. They've moved on and so have I. All the best with your new project, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There must be a publisher somewhere who doesn't only focus on "young" for romances. Good luck finding one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is disappointing. Your characters are some of my very favorites, maybe because they are more mature. I was hoping to meet more of them soon in more Heartwarming books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth. I was hoping for that, too. And yours are my favorites, too.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry, Liz. I adore your books for the reasons they (probably) didn't pick up this series. :( I'll agree with the others - keep writing and keep looking. You'll find the place for your series because your voice is authentic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristi. That was such a nice thing to say!

      Delete
  6. Ah, Liz, I just love - and appreciate - your honesty. In the writing of this blog alone, your writing shines. You are a writer, will always be a writer, and an excellent one at that. And, as you well know, a part of being a good writer is the rejections. I remember when I got my first (of a zillion over the years, by the way), I laughed and thought, "Well, I'm really a writer. I was rejected!" Why is it that because we've tasted the sweet nectar of being published we think we've become rejection-proof - even by those who have published us in the past? I know when Kensington and I parted ways, I felt as though I'd been dumped by a great love who I thought would adore me forever. It's all part of being a writer...even a most accomplished one, which you are. Swear a little, take a deep breath - and maybe have a stiff drink - and then get back on that proverbial horse. It's what you were created to do. And you do it so well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment