Here Comes 2021, Are You Ready?


I can't quite wrap my head around the fact that today is December 1. In 31 days, we'll be in 2021 and 2020 will be a memory. This year has not turned out the way I envisioned at the end of 2019, I think that is probably true for all of us. 

But it also hasn't been all bad. 

I published three books, all in the first quarter, and sales for the series has been solid throughout the year. 

Schools shutting down meant bebe has been home pretty much all year, but while she misses her friends, she's grown in other ways. She's learned how to handle her anxiety a little better. Her friendship with her bestie has grown stronger. She's remembered what she loves about school. 

RadioMan's sports year has been hectic, with games cancelled and then rescheduled and then entire seasons shutting down. But he's rolled with those punches. 

We missed our family cruise in March, and haven't had a real vacation at all this year. What we have done is set aside several three or four day weekends and done family things - a daytrip to Amish country, movie and video game days, time in the pool. And that has strengthened our family bond (although we do get on one another's nerves, too). 

For 2021, I'm hoping for a return to normalcy, although I don't believe a return to pre-pandemic 'normal' will happen next year. Or maybe even for 10 or 20 years. What I mean by a return to normalcy is that families will take trips, we'll hug our loved ones, immune-compromised kiddos (like bebe) will be able to go back to school. But I also hope that some of the things we remembered in 2020 will stay top of mind.  

I hope we remember to be kinder to the people around us, especially the people we don't know. I remember the story from early in the pandemic of the woman who saw an elderly couple circling the grocery store parking lot, because they were afraid to go in. She bought their groceries for them and delivered their food to them. 

I hope we remember that we don't need expensive trips to somewhere (although those trips are wonderful) to have bonding family time. The key is to be in that backyard or hiking that trail or having that meal. 

I hope we remember to take care of ourselves. Reading a book or watching a movie instead of scrolling social media, and stepping away from situations that aren't healthy. 

I hope that the normal we are heading to is filled with more joy and laughter, less anger and stress. I hope it will be filled with love instead of angst. Most of all, I hope that 2021 will be filled with hope. 



Comments

  1. I love this post, Kristi. I'm so happy the Knights have survived and thrived through 2020 and learned valuable lessons along the way. I hope we all do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's been a weird but not horrible but not great year. Definitely a year of growth. But I'm also ready for no more pandemic achievements.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, Kristi and I am all in with your wish for 2021! Thanks for the good words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to traveling to see family and friends, sometime in 2021. It's going to be nice to be able to hug someone without worry. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto, girl. I'm praying for those same things. Let's hope everyone will learn something from this ordeal and carrying it on into 2021.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment