5 questions for Jana Richards

 

The plaque I keep close to my computer. Determination is my word. 

It’s my turn to answer the Five Questions posed by Nan. Some of the questions are easier to answer than others, and some I’ve never thought of before. I hope you enjoy my answers!

1. Writing can be an emotionally draining and stressful pursuit. Any tips for aspiring writers?

Having a writing “tribe” or group of friends is really helpful. Nan and Liz talked about the importance of bouncing ideas off each other. Only another writer will understand the importance of tiny points of plot that make the difference between an okay story and great story. Writer friends can help you see your story more clearly.

Writer friends also share ideas about marketing and provide useful information about publishing. One of my writer friends gave me vital information about self-publishing, and I would have had a much harder time releasing my self-published books without her help. You can also commiserate with writer friends when things go wrong. They understand the ups and downs of this business better than anyone.

2. If you could be mentored by a famous author, who would it be and why?

Jane Austen. I don’t write Regencies (at least not yet!) but I admire the way Jane Austen was able to comment on the social conventions of her time, often making fun of them, while telling beautiful love stories. Her ability to make us laugh is also something I want to emulate. 

Some of my writer friends.

3. At what point do you think someone should consider themselves a writer?

I think you can call yourself a writer when you first begin to write. But I don’t think you can call yourself an author until you let others read and judge your work, whether that’s by letting writer friends critique it, submitting it to publishers or self-publishing your work and allowing readers to decide what they think of it. Either path is great; it all depends on what you want from writing. If you’re happy to write for your own enjoyment and no one ever sees it, that’s great. If you want to reach many readers and pursue publication, that’s good, too. Whatever makes you happy.

4. If you had to describe yourself in three words, what would they be?

Determined, family-oriented, tolerant. I’m not sure if these are the best words to describe me, but it’s what I’ve come up with today. (Just saying, it’s not easy to describe yourself!)

5. You are the publisher and the choice is yours--what is your new romance imprint going to be?

In her Five Questions, Liz talked about reviving the Next series that Harlequin used to print about older heroines finding their second act. I definitely second that motion. I’d also like to revive another defunct Harlequin imprint: Duets, a line of romantic comedies. I think we can always use some laughs, although I’ve got to say that writing comedy is way harder than it looks. But good romantic comedy is sublime.

Comments

  1. Loved your answers, Jana. I agree that good rom-com is sublime. Jenny Crusie set that bar for me and made me really hard to please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree about Jennifer Crusie. I want to write rom-com like her when I grow up!

      Delete
  2. Great answers, Jana and I love your idea of reviving HQ's Duet line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe we should start a petition to bring back Duets!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment