Notes From a Retreat

by Margie Senechal

This week I traveled across the country all by myself. For the first time ever. I'm in so much awe of my daughter, Kristen, who does this all the time. 

And I'm happy to say I made every gate switch, every flight, and even managed to rebook a new flight after my flight home looked like it was going to strand me in Phoenix hours after I was supposed to arrive in Portland.

After a chaotic layover at O'Hare, I arrived to an almost shut down airport in Indianapolis. It was quite calming to walk those long halls. Exhausting, but calming.

Then I met Nan and Husband for my ride to their place where I spent the night before Liz arrived and we road-tripped to North Carolina, driving through four states I'd never been in. One thing I decided is that a truck stop is a truck stop is a truck stop no matter what state you're in.

Coworkers and friends have asked me how it was meeting cyber friends in person. And honestly, it was like seeing old friends after not seeing them for a while. 

I've "known" Liz the longest as we were part of the initial critique group that grew to be the Word Wranglers. I have critiques in my mail files that date back to early 2009. I missed getting to see Kristi, as I've probably "known" her the longest and have watched her daughter grow from infant to almost a teenager.


Being writing partners across the miles is often like having secret keepers--Kristi and Liz were my confidantes when my father died. Sometimes its easier for a writer to write through their pain than to give actual voice to it.

When I left Walgreens in 2014, the Wranglers were there to bounce insecurities and ideas off of. When I've been in flux between projects, or during submission highs and lows--they're there and know exactly what I'm going through. And that's an incredible comfort.

And then there's Janie--who made this all possible and is the epitome of Southern hospitality. Her generosity, her stories, and her excitement are unmatched. She made sure that we had the best time, introduced us to new experiences--Hershey's icecream? Yumm!--Pack's Tavern, and The Chalet.

And we wrote. We bounced ideas off of one another. Nan read sentences and asked for advice--I expect my name in her acknowledgements. LOL I shared my plotting timeline and asked for advice. I wrote some words and more words. I got back on track and am excited again to be heading towards a finish line--if still somewhere a little further down the road.

And the entire experience was probably one of the best times of my life. And happily, no rattlesnakes made an appearance.

Stay safe out there!


Comments

  1. OH, sweets! It was so much fun to "meet" you in person, but yes, it was more reunion than first meeting! This was a great retreat! I hope we can all do it together next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous - and happy...but also, jealous - that y'all had such a wonderful time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Kristi. I'm happy for you, but sorry I couldn't have been there. Glad you had such a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were also definitely missed! Hopefully, this scourge will weaken and by next year, we'll all be able to get together.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you got to do that Margie. So exciting and it sounds like it was good for your writers soul and productive to boot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Chris, it was wonderful! Love you, my forever friend.

      Delete
  5. Reunion is a good word! It was such a great time in such a great place and I so hope we get to do it again with more Wranglers at the table. (We spent a lot of time at tables, didn't we?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a time we had, Margie. Thank you for helping to make that time so special!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment