Someday I'll Thank You in a Book, But Until Then...

 

Last week, my friend Angie came up from Texas. While we couldn’t get together for an extended time, she did stop by the store to say hi and rapidly catch up while I put away stock.

Angie and I met in 2014 when we were both hired to open a new Burlington. We were in the same training group and bonded right away. To this day, she is one of my all-time favorite people.  She radiates warmth and sunshine. And when she squeals, “Ma-aar-gie!”, I feel special to elicit such a greeting.

Angie
 Before she had to leave, she asked me about “her story”. I had a moment of panic because I didn’t remember writing or promising to write her a story. Then she described it, and it was Suitcases. She’d read a short, early edition of Suitcases. Which is depressing in one way since we haven’t worked together in almost five years. But, thrilling in another way because she read one of the first drafts of the story and she still wants to know how it ends (as do we all).

And we'll add Chris and Judy to that list of wanting an ending. I’ve been friends with Chris since second grade. We met in the on-base school, A.T. Mahan, in Keflavik, Iceland. We became pen pals after we moved stateside several states away from each other. Okay, I sent about ten letters to her one. But still… She credits me for keeping our friendship alive. But what Chris doesn’t realize is that simply knowing she was my friend got me through some rough times. High school has its cruel moments, and I was never at the top tier. So, when I’d get sad about that, I’d think, “Well, Chris likes me.” And that got me through.

Me, Chris, Mom, Judy, Wendy, Debbie


These days Chris and her mom, Judy, keep nagging me for new Suitcase installments. These interested readers are my inspiration, the people who keep me writing when I don’t know that I can find the words to finish my five+ year project.

When my sister, Wendy, read Suitcases, she said, “I know you love Bix—and I do, too—but, this, you have to finish this.”



Rebecca, Liz, Nan, Janie, Liz, and me


And the Wranglers. They are a wonderful group of friends. Spending time with three of this summer was one of the best experiences of my writing life, if not one of the best of my life. Lunching with them, Liz Kelly, and Rebecca Warner was amazing as we talked books, writing, and everything in-between.

So, today in this moment, I am thankful for the friends and family—my mom and sister, Debbie…my husband and daughters, Kristen and Jordan, who know that writing for me is like breathing. I have to do it or I’ll get all witchy-woman on them—

I am thankful for the friends and family who encourage me, support me, build me up, and promise to buy my books if I ever get published. I love and appreciate you all.

Comments

  1. We are also thankful for you, Margie. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Margie! What a lovely post! Our time in NC was so precious! I loved brainstorming with you and I can't wait for you to get Suitcases done and send it out in to the world! <>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for including me in this wonderful group! Thankful for you, Nan, Liz and Janie, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an honor to have my hair braided by such an artist. LOL Great memories were made.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely post, Margie! I too have read "Suitcases" and am clamoring for an ending. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you girl, I guess we will all wait as long as it takes. It will be worth it not matter how long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. It's a great reminder that we need to be thankful for the supportive people in our lives. And just so you know, when I hit those crazy periods in my life I would think of you and your family and be reminded that there are a few "normal" people out there. Of course, now that I am an old lady I realize that even you guys weren't always normal. LOL but I always appreciated having you and your family in my life all these years. And you really need to get that book finished. The world is waiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I type "The End" you'll be right at the top of the list of who knows and who gets to read it right away :)

      Delete

Post a Comment