The Thirty Things List by Janie DeVos

 


     Recently, one of our wonderful WordWranglers, Liz Flaherty, mentioned something about us coming into that thirty-days-of-being-grateful time, now that November is upon us.  So, I suggested that we should each write a list of thirty things we’re grateful for and everyone was in!   When I sat down to construct my list, I wanted to do it a little differently, though.  I didn’t want to write about the biggest most obvious things I’m very grateful for, which are my faith, family and friends, instead, I wanted to list some of the countless little and big things that make up my blessed life but are so often overlooked or taken for granted.  So, friends, here’s just the tip of the iceberg.

1).  A peaceful home. 

2).  Money to pay the bills.

3).  Working from home, especially on icy or foggy mornings.

4).  A good education.

5).  A full refrigerator.

6).  Chocolate.

7).  Clean water to drink.

8).  Warm clothes to wear.

9).  Good neighbors.

10).  A comfortable bed.

11).  My home office filled with favorite things.

12).  A great book.

13).  A happy childhood.

14).  The use of all of my senses.

15).  Birthday cards.

16).  Helpful and friendly over-worked, under-paid store employees.

17).  Our home gym (especially when we’re snowed in).

18).  Our generator.

19).  I’m grateful I enjoy my own company.   

20).  The changing seasons.

21).  Animals, (I’m really, really grateful for them, especially dogs, but not snakes.)

22).  Music.

23).  Toilet paper and paper towels.

24).  A dependable vehicle.

25).  Seeing traits of both parents in me.

26).  Medicines.

27).  My kind and supportive readers.

28).  The mountain view from our deck.

29).  Handwritten family recipes, especially from loved ones who have passed.

And, last but certainly not least, number 30: I’m very grateful that I’m a writer.

 

I’d love to hear what would make your own “Thirty Things” list, so please let me know. 

 

Wishing each of you the happiest of Thanksgivings, filled with blessings both big and small.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. A wonderful list! Mine is still day-by-day on Facebook, but, like you, it's not always the "big" that I'm most grateful for. Thanks for sharing, Janie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Liz! You're a blessing in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, JoAnn, and thank you for your kind support throughout the year. Wishing you wonderful holidays.

      Delete
  4. I love your list, Janie. I especially like that chocolate and toilet paper are on there. What would we do without them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to think of a world without either. The $64,000. question is, which would you give up first? ;)

      Delete
  5. As a helpful and friendly overworked and under paid store employee--thank you. LOL

    To answer your question set to Jana, I'd have to give up chocolate before TP--a girl's got to be practical.

    I love your list and many of my thankful things could be pulled right from there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know, girl; you could use the chocolate wrappers for TP. Now, THAT'S practical. xo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment