The Work-in-Progress--That Would Be Me by Liz Flaherty

This morning--it's Thursday; I'm jumping the gun--as Nan and I got ourselves going while on writing retreat, we made the earthshaking decision that we would wear no makeup today (I didn't wear any yesterday, either, but that's just me). I put my hair up into a clip. We talked about it being an irritant that there was no full-length mirror in our truly wonderful hotel room, then laughed because we really didn't want to see where the fudge we've eaten made itself at home.

I mostly wear leggings these days, with elastic waists, and sweaters that...don't fit all that well. If I still have a womanly shape in there, it's pretty well hidden. But I wear colors I like, have an enviable (and maybe slightly unreasonable) collection of shoes and purses, and have a bunch of wonderful, warm socks. 

Although weight has been a yoyoing problem all of my adult life and continues to be, I've decided a size eight isn't necessary to maintain my emotional health, whereas taking care of my physical and mental health is. 

I've vacillated back and forth continually over retiring from writing, knowing full well I won't until they pry the keyboard from my cold, dead, hands (the ones with very pretty nails). At the end of this writer's day, much of my selfcare involves putting words on the page. 


I walk, but I'm a fair-weather walker. The Nickel Plate Trail in all its glory is a mile and a half from my house. I park in Duke Energy's driveway and take in the sights and colors and make full use of my Apple ear buds as I listening to audiobooks. (Ron and Clint Howard's The Boys right now. It is soooo good!) Walking the Trail is a whole lot like going to church sometimes. Other times, it becomes a brainstorming session for the work-in-progress. Admittedly brainstorming is easier when there's another person on the other side of the conversation, but the NPT has great sound effects. It is also, at your loneliest of times, a flawless secret-keeper. It can heal a broken heart without a stitch.

Time with friends, like Nan's and my writing retreats or the one we had in NC last year with Janie and Margie, are invaluable. Writing groups can fill the well in unexpected and rewarding ways. Shared laughter is a panacea to all manner of ills.

My recommendation for selfcare comes down to a few words. Be comfortable. Be kind. Be joyful.

The path to taking care of yourself is in no way a straight one, but it is an interesting one without an end. Keep reminding yourself that there's something new and exciting right around the next bend. Grab hold and enjoy. Feel good. 

Oh, and read a good book...

***

Life’s Too Short for White Walls will be released by The Wild Rose Press on April 20. I don’t have the preorder date yet, but what I do have are some ARCs available for free from Booksprout. I hope you take one and that it gives you that good afternoon.



Comments

  1. I relate to what you said about weight: "I've decided a size eight isn't necessary to maintain my emotional health, whereas taking care of my physical and mental health is." So true, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fair weather walker too and it's way too cold for my blood right now! Your upcoming release sounds lovely.
    I'd love to have you on my blog and in my newsletter!
    Instructions on how to Sign up HERE: https://pamswildroseblog.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

    Good luck and God's blessings
    PamT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! I'll sign up. And, yes, too cold for my blood, too. It was 15 degrees for my walk to the office this morning. I sauntered, because, you know, sunrise, but I sauntered fast!

      Delete
  3. It was a grand retreat! Exactly what I needed! <>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved having you all with me last summer. Great piece, Liz. Such wonderful words of wisdom. Can't wait for the new book to be released. So exciting. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janie. It was a wonderful, well-filling time!

      Delete

Post a Comment