Celebrate Good Times by Liz Flaherty

It's release week for me, although that's not until tomorrow. I'm looking forward to Reinventing Riley being available. I like Riley a lot--because she's different, I think. I like different. And I love Jake, because he's a gentle spirit with a rock and roll heart--who could ask for more?

Our wedding anniversary is Sunday, our actual 50+1 on the heels of the party our kids gave us over the past weekend. It was so much fun, having all of them in the same room, talking to friends and family, being reminded of the thoughtfulness and kindness that we forget about in the face of the dissension that peppers our lives.

Photos of mostly young people in caps and gowns are popping up everywhere.

There is so much glee! Our second-youngest favorite grandson will be packing up his trumpet and going to Ball State in the fall. How can that be? 

My father-in-law's birthday is Friday. He was a bootstraps kind of guy, a World War II veteran, an Irish Catholic with an impeccable work ethic. He had his demons, as do we all, but he had Jake's gentle spirit, too. He was a loving man. 

My brother Dan passed away four years ago today. I miss him. Whenever I see a vintage Mustang or 50s-era Thunderbird, I think of him. He was my protector when we were kids. He taught me to ride a bicycle and to drive (although when it came to learning to engage the clutch, it took a village to get me past the jerk, jerk, die, damn it point) and that sometimes quiet is better. 

This year has seen too many losses, hasn't it? Too much strife and heartbreak. War and cruelty and that dissension I mentioned up there. It's overwhelming. And yet, I've never seen so many beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Are they promises that things will indeed get better? I hope so.

This weekend will be Memorial Day weekend, when we commemorate those who gave all in remarkable service to the country they loved. Let us not forget.

The title of this comes from the lyrics of Three Dog Night's "Celebration." Another line is "it's time to come together." Yes, that. Just as celebration and mourning weave together to make a strong, whole cloth, so we need to weave together as human beings.

Apologies--I know this isn't a writing post, but it's what showed up on the page today. And that is about writing, isn't it?--working with what shows up on the page.

Comments

  1. Hugs for the heartfelt memories. We need to remember our loved ones! Thank you for sharing with us. And Happy Book Release a day early, Liz. Your new book sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary, Liz! How wonderful to have your whole family together. And congrats on another new release. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jana. It is the greatest thing. I love seeing them individually, too, but when they're all together--and even more so when the grands are all there--our hearts are full.

      Delete
  3. I like this because it brings us more insight into the author that is Liz Flaherty. We often write what we feel. It helps us to later create characters who feel the same things. Happy Anniversary again! Sorry we missed your party - we were there in spirit. Love ya Liz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. I wish you could have come--it was fun--but I appreciate the spirit!

      Delete
  4. I'm always in, no matter what you're writing. Can't wait for Riley's book tomorrow! YAY!! Happy anniversary on Sunday and always much love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your release and thank you for sharing more about yourself. It's always nice to learn more about the person behind the words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. There are times, I think, when I likely share way too much! Thanks, Kara.

      Delete
  6. Always a pleasant and delightful read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your beautiful words, Liz. Your pieces are always so heart-felt and give us much to think about. Loving, "Life is Too Short for White Walls", and will look forward to Reinventing Riley.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment