Getting the Day Started by Jana Richards

Photo by Roland Denes on Unsplash

When my Word Wrangler sisters came up with the theme “Writing Tricks-How we get each day started”, I thought it was a good one, because in all honesty, starting my mornings has been a problem, especially lately. Maybe my experience would help other authors.

I started working on a Christmas romance in early spring. I’ve always wanted to write a Christmas themed romance, and I managed to tie this book in with a previous self-published series. Adding another book to the series, and a Christmas one at that, could help boost sales on the whole series, I thought. If I got the book to my editor by August 1, I could have it ready for Christmas 2022. Win, win, win, right?

Wrong.

For the first time ever, I did not meet a deadline with an editor. By the middle of July, I wasn’t even close to being finished the first draft, let alone something I could send to an editor, so I had to email her and tell her August 1 wasn’t happening. This was a self-imposed deadline, but I’ve worked with self-imposed deadlines before, and they’ve always encouraged me to work hard to finish. So what happened this time? 

I wasn’t sure. I liked the characters I was writing about, I liked the series, and as I said, I’ve always wanted to write a Christmas story. But found it difficult to focus on the writing. Time got away from me, too. Just as I got into a writing groove, I often had to quit because I had an appointment, or something came up that I had to attend to. Days went by and I’d only written a scene or two. For some reason, I couldn’t get anything done.

As I examined what was going on, one thing became glaringly clear. I wasn’t getting my butt into my writing chair first thing in the morning. And my writing was suffering because of it.

Over several months, probably even before I started writing this current book, I’d fallen into a routine. More of a rut, actually. I still got out of bed reasonably early, but first I had to read the paper. (A writer has to know what’s going on in the world.) Then I had to have breakfast. (How can I write on an empty stomach?) Of course, I had to play Wordle. (To stimulate my brain. For my writing.) Without question, I needed a second cup of coffee. (Who can write without coffee?) Meanwhile, it’s mid-morning or better and I haven’t written a word. Or had a shower.

Maybe part of my lack of urgency is because I retired from my part-time day job last December. When you’re working, you know the time you can devote to writing is limited, so you make the most of it. When you retire, your whole day stretches out in front of you. You have all the time in the world, so you find yourself wasting a lot of it.

I know my fellow Word Wranglers have written about getting up early to write. From past experience, I know the feeling of accomplishment hitting a writing goal early in the morning will give. I had to get back to that. If I was ever going to finish this Christmas story, I had to break my newspaper/Breakfast/Wordle habit and make writing my early morning priority once again. 

It hasn’t been easy but for the last few weeks I’ve managed to drag my butt out of bed most mornings and go to my computer. I still allow myself coffee, because a) I’m not a masochist, and b) who can write without coffee anyway?

I’ve managed to finish that first draft. It’s a hot mess and needs tons of work, but at least the structure is there. I’ve got something to work with now. 

So, the lesson here is that whatever you’re passionate about, do it first and always make it a priority before anything else you do in your day. Even if means forgoing Wordle for a while.




Comments

  1. Good for you on getting going! Morning is natural to me. School and chores, then work, then kids, then work always demanded it, so I never learned to sleep late. I can't imagine writing at any other time, although I have surprised myself with the occasional scene...gasp...after dark! Great post, Jana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mornings used to be natural for me too. I managed to get the first draft done, but I'm still struggling with the edits. It helps to get at it early in the morning, but I suspect I'm dealing with a bit of burn out as well. I'm tired!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment