The Devil is in the Details

      

    The Apple Orchard at Altapass, where research was done for Beneath a Thousand Apple Trees.

     

     Over the years, I’ve been asked countless times if I had any writing tips to offer up, and because I think each writer has his or her own unique way of finding inspiration, it’s hard to answer that.  However, there are a couple of things that I firmly believe every writer needs to do to bring authenticity to their stories, as well as to give those stories interesting layers so that they’re not flat-lined, so to speak.  Writers need to watch for details in what’s going on around them, and be a darn good listener, too.  

Because I’m a period novelist, I watch a lot of movies made in the era, or set in the era I’m writing about.  I take special note of what people were wearing then, as well as the nuances in the way they speak and common terms used during that time period, too.  People from one region of the country sound different from those in other regions, and, as a writer, hearing the different ways people talk is pretty fascinating to me. 

I once had a publisher ask me if I could see the scene I was writing in my mind’s eye.  I answered with a resounding yes!  “If I can’t see the scene,” I told him, “I can’t write it.”  So, until I get a clear picture in my mind of what it is I’m trying to describe, the page will remain blank. 

Listen and watch closely to people around you.  You would be surprised at all the small details and authenticity you can add to a story while doing the most mundane things; like dropping off your laundry at the dry cleaners, or picking out grapefruit in the produce section. 

When I was writing the first novel in my Glory Land trilogy, I was having a terrible time coming up with a title for it.  A friend’s older mother happened to be at my house one day and because I admire the hard working, kindhearted woman that she is, I was telling her that not only was God going to give her a mansion when she crossed over but that it would come fully furnished, too. 

“Shoot, honey,” she humbly replied.  “I don’t need no mansion.  I just need a little corner in Glory Land.” 

Thus, the title of my book, A Corner in Glory Land, was found. 

Finally, go on research “field trips”.  I spent many an hour over at the apple orchard when writing Beneath a Thousand Apple Trees, as well as former Tuberculosis hospitals in Asheville, Morganton and even Chicago when writing The Art of Breathing.  Not only will you learn valuable information that will add wonderful depth to your stories, you’ll meet some pretty neat people along the way, too.  

What is it we were taught as children to do when we come to a railroad crossing?  Wasn’t it, stop, look, and listen? When writing, do the same thing.  Listen to those around you, watch movies, and slow down enough to absorb the things in the little details.  After all, the devil is in the details, and that is what separates a blah book from a well written one.  Above all, though, enjoy writing it!  If you’re not having fun then maybe it’s time to move on to another project and let the one you’re struggling with marinate for a while.  Chances are that once you do return to it, you’ll be seeing it through fresh new eyes and know exactly what you need to do to make it work. 

Stop, look, listen and happy writing, everyone!  

 

Comments

  1. I love your titles. They are like "hey, over here" whistles for your books, and what's between the covers...well, that's even better. Great post, Janie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful advice for new writers, for any writer really. Your titles are always amazing and intriguing. If your name on the cover as author didn't already make me eager to read the story, your titles would do it! Hugs, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice, Janie! It's no surprise your writing is so authentic and resonating! I have read all your books, and I think you are one of the greatest researchers as an author I have ever read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What high praise, Rebecca! Thank you for your support and, as always, kind and gracious words.

      Delete

Post a Comment